• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

windshield wipers on all the time

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Funny thing. With the ground strap on the fuel line there is about 12v going through the fuel line and fuel. The ground is established by the clamps for the fuel line. Remember there is a rubber fuel line before the pump. So any rusted clamps and screws will increase resistance. Any where you pick up ground it will work. It might be a better idea then energizing a fuel line. Although fuel lines are also grounded for static discharge. Two grounds are better then one. That's all I have to say about that.
1708644272892.jpeg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
did that and it worked. what's next.... somebody has the solution to this problem
Since that worked the problem is the sending unit. You could measure the resistance from the terminal you took the blue wire off to ground. You’ll probably read 70 ohms if the internal sliding connector didn’t fall off (that happened to one of mine). Or the float could have developed a hole, filled with gas and is sitting on the bottom. Measure the resistance and let me know what you get.

Did you check out my reply #12 in the link I sent?

Last edited:

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Since that worked the problem is the sending unit. You could measure the resistance from the terminal you took the blue wire off to ground. You’ll probably read 70 ohms if the internal sliding connector didn’t fall off (that happened to one of mine). Or the float could have developed a hole, filled with gas and is sitting on the bottom. Measure the resistance and let me know what you get.

Did you check out my reply #12 in the link I sent?
was that about a ground strap? made one
will try ohms

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. Reply/post "12 is about an added ground wire from the sending unit's swing arm to the fuel tube
I did that..it works. still no working gauge...will check instrument for a 70 ohm reading

michael bucklew

Reaction score
I did that..it works. still no working gauge...will check instrument for a 70 ohm reading
not well versed on an ohm
meter..hooked blk meter wire to ground and no reading at blue wire with red probe. ignition on, battery connected....or hook blk wire to ground on instrument cluster

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Pull the blue wire off, we're just checking the sending unit resistance, no need to do anything with the ignition. Maybe this will help. Make sure the leads make good connections.

Testing.png

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Just to clarify, did you perform the test in the picture? Make sure car's battery is connected (mines not in the winter). I always put a machine screw, that's the same size as the senders terminal, into the connector because often the alligator clips don't reach inside far enough.

Gas gauge wiring.jpg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I want to keep the troubleshooting to this one thread.

So, your sending unit’s resistance is fine out of the tank.
1. I should have first asked if your oil & temp gauges work, do they?
2. Did you jumper the blue wire to ground and turn the key? If you did that test, did the gauge move?
3. Are you sure the float doesn’t have a pinhole in it?

3 to 4 gallons should be around 1/4 on the gauge. A bit lower if it’s an 18 gallon tank BUT ONLY if the float arm is correctly adjusted.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Just to clarify, did you perform the test in the picture? Make sure car's battery is connected (mines not in the winter). I always put a machine screw, that's the same size as the senders terminal, into the connector because often the alligator clips don't reach inside far enough.

View attachment 119774

View attachment 119774

I want to keep the troubleshooting to this one thread.

So, your sending unit’s resistance is fine out of the tank.
1. I should have first asked if your oil & temp gauges work, do they?
2. Did you jumper the blue wire to ground and turn the key? If you did that test, did the gauge move?
3. Are you sure the float doesn’t have a pinhole in it?

3 to 4 gallons should be around 1/4 on the gauge. A bit lower if it’s an 18 gallon tank BUT ONLY if the float arm is correctly adjusted.
did static test. removed sending unit from tank.. wife watching gauge--moved float to full position--gauge responded to full---IT WORKS !!! problem solved. thanks for all the input members

Back