• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Winter project

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would go with the disc. It is more important to be able to stop than it is to be able to go.

mmissile

Reaction score
True. I got a forgotten lesson, when I went for a high-gear pass in my new, hemi road runner. Ordered the brakes an hour later.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Great engine build-Looking Good

Matt, your tear down and engine rebuild look great. That engine is a thing of beauty. How much of a bore with new pistons did you go with? On the trans rebuild, are you planning to beef up the internals a little?
Good luck with your work.
You have given me some of the incentive to get my A66 convertible back to the world of the living.

Dino2 (1).gif

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The cylinders were worn pretty good so I had to go .030" over.
As far as the trans? It took me a while but I finally found a used 46 RE out of a '98 truck on the Craigslist for cheap. The internals are basically a 727 with some improvements over our old 727s so it will be donating some parts. The sun assembly has 5 planetary gears instead of 4 and there's room for one more clutch disc in both the front and rear clutch assemblies. (This is per my trans guy, I don't speak trans very well...)

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
Yes and I'd like to try to be as correct with it as I can.

Hi Dematt1, Steve here. I have a '70 Cuda so I've enjoyed reading your post. :)

Just curious.....your car has the blackout paint on the cowl, but should it also have the radiator support blacked-out like shown in this Chrysler Engineering Drawing? Somebody else added the bold text at the top of this drawing, but the original text and artwork is from Chrysler. My Cuda is F8 Green, so mine did not have this blackout treatment around the radiator. You'll notice under the NOTES section in the drawing that the dark painted E bodies were exempt from getting the black paint in this area.

Just thought I'd mention it since you obviously want to do a correct restoration. But please do some add'l research and try to find pics of original cars that were built at the same plant as yours and about at the same time. 70-71-e-rad-blackout_copy_low_res.jpg

70-71-e-rad-blackout_copy_low_res.jpg

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
I'll make sure the blackout is done properly. Thanks for the info Steve.

You're welcome..... I'm curious to know what you end up learning about this detail for your specific car. My Cuda was scheduled to be built on Nov. 12, 1969 at the Hamtramck Plant and the date on that engineering document is Feb. 1969. The black-out painting directive could have changed in those months, or it could have been a plant-specific thing, or as MMISSLE correctly reminds us.... "No absolutes on a production line." :)

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hey, question for all you '71 owners. Is the top of the cowl supposed to be blacked out?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The two I have here are not blacked out. Neither came with the center hood blackout. That may make a difference.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks Tod! I phoned a friend on this as well and it seems '70 was the only year that they blacked it out and the battery tray was sometimes body color and sometimes not.

moparlee

Reaction score
Matt, my '71 RT which I bought new back in the day does not have the cowl black out and the battery tray was painted body color.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thank you, decision's already been made. It became aparent that I was not going to be able to make time for this project this winter so I've hired a pro.

image.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I couldn't be more excited about the progress and its in the very capable hands of my friend Terry who does restoration work in his retirement from GM. I got a bit lucky that the hot rod he's building for himself is being delayed at the painters so he has some time to squeeze me in. By the way my vert is sharing his shop space with the '70 Hemi Cuda vert that he also built for himself about 6 years ago.
Here's the last pic from today.

image.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Matt, here is an untouched 71 Hemi. Build date Jan 15, 1971. It has a painted battery tray.
JAN 15 1971.jpg

Back