• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Winter project

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Progress is good, color yesterday and clear today!
Unfortunately the new site won't let me post the same size pics I've been posting for years...

DetMatt1

Reaction score
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Trying to figure out this picture thing.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm VERY happy with the way the paint and blackout treatment turned out and the Engine is almost ready for paint too. I'm holding off on the disc brake conversion for now, there's just not time.

ECS

Reaction score
......the battery tray was sometimes body color and sometimes not.

Great progress! You'll find that on a Challenger, there was over-spray on the Battery Tray due to the square opening in the Radiator Core Support, that is in front of the Tray. The factory did not tape those openings or any other area of the Core Support when doing the blackout treatment. Taping those areas to manipulate the process will cause contradictions in the overall appearance like as hard paint lines. In such cases, paint can also get past the taped areas and "fog spots" of black will be seen on the back side of the lower support.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm not that picky, it's going to look a helluva lot better than before not to mention the performance. I'm going to drive the wheels off of it next season!

ECS

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm not that picky, it's going to look a helluva lot better than before not to mention the performance. I'm going to drive the wheels off of it next season!

I would say you have been very "picky" and detailed so far. It will look like a beautiful new car when you are finished. You might consider showing it a few times before driving the wheels off of it. I'm sure there are some restoration awards in your future! When you get ready for the final detailing, pleased send me a PM with the specifics about your car and a shipping address. I will send you a complete, complimentary decal kit (specific to your project) as a late Christmas present. Keep up the great work!

ECS Automotive Concepts - CHRYSLER DECAL PACKAGES

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I would say you have been very "picky" and detailed so far. It will look like a beautiful new car when you are finished. You might consider showing it a few times before driving the wheels off of it. I'm sure there are some restoration awards in your future! When you get ready for the final detailing, pleased send me a PM with the specifics about your car and a shipping address. I will send you a complete, complimentary decal kit (specific to your project) as a late Christmas present. Keep up the great work!

ECS Automotive Concepts - CHRYSLER DECAL PACKAGES
That's incredibly nice of you, thanks a bunch! It'll still need a repaint in the future to be a show winner. After this and the rally instrument cluster conversion which its getting right now will be a new top and a refurb of the factory a.c. System.

resq302

Reaction score
To my knowledge, the battery tray was always painted with the car as it was installed prior to paint.

resq302

Reaction score
I also noticed your camber adjustment bolts are silver. I'm pretty sure they were a plated phosphate gray (dark blackish - gray) color if you are going for that "original" look.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
According to the E body fastener restoration manual they were phosphate but the bluish green color not the oil and phosphate which was the darker charcoal color.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
A couple more. New sway bar bushings, end links, all tie rods, engine harness among many other things.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Anybody know what the factory finish on the power brake booster should be? Drum brakes.

moparlee

Reaction score
Looks very nice Matt. Always fun installing those nice clean restored/new parts. I also painted my booster satin black. I have seen them both ways, black paint and yellow cad.

quapman

Reaction score
All the 71 and later boosters of that shape/brand that I've seen were yellow ZINC. (Cadmium..."cad" for short is always a silverish color). Mind you, power drums are fairly uncommon, so....I'm sure ECS can set us straight.

...and yes, battery trays are always body color, except on the bottom and between the tray and inner fender, since they were assembled prior to paint. That's the main reason most inner fenders rot there.

Really nice job, Matt. Makes me think about starting a thread for my T/A.

Back