• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Winter Storage

dfrazz

Reaction score
First time for me storing a classic car in CO and I would like pointers for preparation. I will be doing some work on the car this winter, but not driving it a lot. I've heard a bunch of advice on taking the battery (take it out, disconnect, run a trickle charge). Also, fuel (add a fuel stabilizer with half/full tank, have no to little gas, etc). Anything else that you would suggest would be welcomed. Thanks!

moparleo

Reaction score
Put the car up on jack stands so the load is taken off of the tires and suspension. Ideally you should take the tires and wheels off and store on their sides. Fill the tank, add your Sta-bil or what ever they call it in your area. Disconnect the fuel line and run the engine until it drains the bowls and stalls. Remove the plugs and squirt some Marvel Mystery oil or and equivalent into the cylinders and manually rotate the engine, re-install the old plugs if in good condition. Or install a new set, ready to go in the Spring time. Of course you should have already done a good wash and wax before you parked it.
You are absolutely correct to remove the battery from the vehicle and trickle charge away from car and any fuel stored in the garage. Use a high qulity car cover to protect the paint from dirt and dust.
I am sure there are other things that other members will also recommend, but this covers the basics.

Bill

Reaction score
Great thread for this time of year.
We have issues with critters in our reagion. Usually mice. They can ruin the interior of a car in a heartbeat. They will build a nest in the heater duct, seats or heatliner. Iv'e been told to make sure the fresh air damper is closed because that is how they usualy get inside the car. I have heard that mothballs can help but then your car smells like mothballs????

moparstables

Reaction score
For the mice problem we put clothes dryer sheets inside the glove box, floorboards, trunk and engine compartment. We don't have any problems with mice. We use them in anything stored for the winter.

WildCat

Reaction score
I've heard dryer sheets are good also

I use Blue Marine STABIL in all my gasoline engines, Mowers, blowers, cars it is cheap insurance and so far I have had no problems with bad gas in the spring 1 oz per 5 gal. Of fuel. Run the engine long enough to get the fuel with STABIL into the carb

Some say steel wool in the exhaust pipes, clean and cover the car

Battery tender for all batteries or remember to charge the battery monthly, so for the cost of a tender put it on all stored batteries

If you start the car, let it warm up. Idling for 10 minutes the gauge might say it is warm, but the exhaust is full of moisture, either drive the car or just don't start it unless you have to.

Back