• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Wiper transmission lubrication

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know that type of lubrication can be used to lubricate the wiper motor transmission, especially the mechanism, under the rubber boot, that attaches directly to the wiper motor? I was going to brush on some white lithium grease.
I looked in my service manuals and did not see it in there. Wy terminology is probably not correct so most likely I'm looking in the wrong place.

Adam

Reaction score
I think that, or any heavier grease, would work fine.

Steve340

Reaction score
Some petroleum based greases destroy plastic and rubber after a while.
I would do a bit of research on the grease you want to use.
If compatible - all good.

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@Steve340 I didn't think about the possibility of deterioration of the plastics and rubber. I'll research the lubricants that I will use. Thank you

@moparleo Thanks for the input. I do have some synthetic grease. Ill check to see if its safe for rubber and plastics.

Katfish

Reaction score
Thx for that, I guess white lithium is the answer.

"A general rule of thumb if you are still confused about the question White Lithium Grease vs Silicone Lubricant: What’s the Difference is as follows. If your job involves lubrication of metal-on-metal surfaces that are exposed to the elements and potentially harsh weather conditions, reach for WD-40’s White Lithium Grease. Otherwise, you can reach for WD-40’s Silicone Lubricant if you have a surface made from wood, rubber, plastic, or most other materials that require lubrication, protection from moisture, dirt, grime or dust or the prevention of sticking or binding"

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Well I've been doing research on which lubricant to use on the wiper transmission and Silicone grease or lubricant is the winner. I have a tube of SIL-GLYDE brake lubricant that I will use. IMG_5950.jpg
White lithium grease will make plastic and rubber swell over time.
Synthetic grease (PAO) is ok for plastic but not rubber. Even though I have been using this for my ball joints in multiple cars.
Silicon grease is good for both rubber and plastic.
This is what I gathered from looking at many different web searches.

Katfish

Reaction score
I guess it depends on motor, 2 or 3 speed.
I don't believe there is any rubber or plastic on the 3 speed, just brass against steel

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@Katfish There is a cam'd mechanism inside a rubber boot that is attached to the wiper motor directly. Inside the rubber boot there is a cam that is plastic that rides on a brass seat. I believe both 2 and 3 speed wiper motors have the same wiper linkage including the cam inside the rubber boot. I don't have a good picture of it now. I'll post one later today.

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification and the picture. So for 2 speed wiper motors lithium or synthetic grease will be just fine. I have the two speed wiper so I used synthetic grease on the joints but Silicon grease on the cam/boot location.

Back