• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WIW AAR Shell

jdakrt

Reaction score
Listed on the book of faces but I just looked at it since its local. Figured I'd ask here what you guys think its worth needing full resto (I know, "its worth what someone's willing to pay for it") . Car is a rusty shell. Frame is OK. No hood, basically nothing interior is usable. numbers check out, repop fender tag, no build sheet. original fe5 4 spd. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

moparleo

Reaction score
You hit it on the head. What matters is what it is worth to You. Not me. In the described condition it would probably not be worth the total cost of a restoration. But if you just always wanted an AAR...

70chall440

Reaction score
I always hate these types of deals as it always seems to come down to value. If someone always wanted an ARR and the investment is inconsequential compared to the end result, well thats one thing. If on the other hand someone is wanting to do it as an "investment" opportunity, then they would be upside down quickly. Consider that a "full" restoration is going to cost well north of $100K (depending on who does it and how good it is done, could be $500K or more). So, what is the current value of a restored AAR? It all depends on your view and intent.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
How much could it be worth in restored condition without any of its original equipment or documentation, 50k? just guessing.
what’s it going to cost to get it to that point, 50k?
you see where I’m going with this, right?
on the other side of the coin, what’s it worth to you to be cruising the streets in THAT car once it’s restored? That could be priceless.

rklein71

Reaction score
If it was the car you got your first kiss in, go for it! If you just want a heap to have the satisfaction of saving a cool car, go for it! If you want the best value, look for another.
Rod

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
If you want a value on the car you really need to post some pictures of the car.
Post the fender tag as well. Even if it's a repop. Did they copy the original fender tag?
Pictures make a big difference in determining a value for you.

70chall440

Reaction score
I think everyone is saying the same thing here. This is a good case of the paradox that is the muscle car market. If you had a rusty but verified AAR or TA, you are going to ask decent money for it because it is a AAR or TA but whoever buys it needs to understand what is in store for them. Of course this formula is vastly different for different people; if you are capable of doing most/all of the work yourself that is one thing, but if you have to build the car via a checkbook, its going to be expensive and take a lot of time and when you are done you are probably underwater financially.

I don't think I ever bought a car where my initial interest was motivated by what the car would be work later, I have always bought my cars because I really wanted them or needed them. I have made money on a couple of cars over the years but have lost money a lot more times than I have made money.

The days of finding a "goldmine" are not necessarily gone but they are rare. With the advent of the internet, it takes seconds to discover what cars sell for. Everyone sees the auction cars selling for decent money or even stupid money but I would bet that if you talked to the seller, he "might" have made a little but more times than not they barely break even and many times lose. Its like playing the stock market; actually more like gambling in Vegas.

jdakrt

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I understand there is no "money" to be made. Its love for the hobby and saving a cool car. I also subscribe to if I do it I know what I have. The lipstick/pig thing. That said, I agree with the maybe 50k in finished value, and that its most likely not a good investment. I can do everything except final body and paint in house, but still think it will take 35 plus to get it driver quality. I'll try and load up some pics

jdakrt

Reaction score
Tag, dont have any decent pics yet to post. Supposedly a p.o. Either had the vin researched or the tag repopped and this is the tag. I know the vin matches rad and cowl. Just trying to research to make sure. The repop tag I feel holds no water.

View attachment 77928

Last edited:

fastmark

Reaction score
For some reason, I can’t post a PM. Is this car in Dallas area?

jdakrt

Reaction score
I sent you a message back. No it is not out of TX. The short story on this one is its a very well optioned AAR. Super excited to bring it back, but need to offload my b body vert stuff to make room for it first.

fastmark

Reaction score
Yes I was able to finally read your pm and though I replied back. I checked my pm and they are screwy again and all in single file. Glad you did not get the one I’m thinking of. It’s been passed around like a hot potato.

jdakrt

Reaction score
Gotta brag a little. Took a gamble, paid off IMO. Goldmine? no. Super cool find? absolutely. Just got confirmation this ole girl is a very well optioned car. Sister car (one of a block of three) to the wellborn car. Will be a long term resto, but I've bought up most of the hard to find items including the louvers, bumpers, 8 track and bezel etc. Cant wait to get the garage back in order so I can start working on her.

NixDad

Reaction score
I also jumped on a COVID -Car...just something to work.
I think with projects like this it is always important to know what you have 'in stock' to complete the project. Maybe your stock is money, or talent, or maybe a stash of Parts that can help complete the project without having to buy everything.

Back