• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Wont stay running

Lightning

Reaction score
If I swap cams, what is a good cam to use if I don't want to loose to much HP/TQ ? Again I have a 340 30 over 10.0:1 comp. 727 auto 2800 stall converter 323 suregrip rear (going to change gears to 391 soon). Again I want to be able to drive the car every day and still take it to the track on weekends.

Last edited:

Lightning

Reaction score
I have tried tuning the carb (Holley 750cfm) but it hasn't made any differance. I do not know what the vacuum is. I do not have power brakes so I don't have much of a draw other than the vacuum advance, and of course the big cam. It does idle OK but I should point out that the idle speed is set pretty high (1000-1100 RPMs). It does idle at lower speed, but it is rough. As I said I thought it might be a vacuum leak but couldn't find find one. do you think that the cam is just to big for a driver and robbing to much vacuum? If so what cam profile is a good choice so as not to loose to much HP/TQ but be a good reliable driver?

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
If I swap cams, do you have any suggestions on what a good cam to use is. I don't want to loose to much HP but I do want a reliable car that I can drive every day.
You say it idles OK when not in gear do you know what your vacuum is.
Have you tried opening up your air bleed screws to give more fuel at idle

AUSTA

Reaction score
do you have any idea of the cam are they J heads.
I run a Comp 280H idles great but have roller lifters can be expensive to set up.
You could measure the lift by taking off the rocker cover & turning the engine slowly then measuring the lift at the valve at min & max might give you some idea how wild the cam is.

Back