• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Speedo Cable Leaking.

money pit

Reaction score
I got my trans rebuilt about a year ago. It's still under warranty. I took it back once for a leak. They told me the speedo cable was leaking. I replaced the cable, it still leaks. Is there supposed to be ATF on the speedo cable side? Is the seal on the speedo gear, where it meets the housing supposed to prevent this from leaking? Thanks.

Ralph

Reaction score
I believe there are two rubber o rings on the speedometer gear housing - check year one catalog to see what they look like.

Big G

Reaction score
If fluid is coming out of the cable it means the cup seal on the gear shaft is bad. I wound up buying a whole new gear assembly since the shaft was worn. Drain tranny fluid before removing unit. Bought mine on eBay.

Big G

Reaction score
If fluid is coming out of the cable it means the cup seal on the gear shaft is bad. I wound up buying a whole new gear assembly since the shaft was worn. Drain tranny fluid before removing unit. Bought mine on eBay.

Big G

Reaction score
E41190F8-6788-4E03-9841-F9F4153A3D9F.png

rogue

Reaction score
i've changed the gear without draining the tranny... jack it up on the left side and most of the fluid goes to the right... you might lose a bit but you won't have to drain the entire thing.

money pit

Reaction score
i've changed the gear without draining the tranny... jack it up on the left side and most of the fluid goes to the right... you might lose a bit but you won't have to drain the entire thing.
I believe there are two rubber o rings on the speedometer gear housing - check year one catalog to see what they look like.
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

money pit

Reaction score
Th
Thanks. I learned the hard way when I replaced the O ring. I lost a couple of quarts. I didn't check the seal at that time.

money pit

Reaction score
I'll give it a try. Thanks

money pit

Reaction score
I'll take a look on Ebay. I know the gear is green. I'll count the teeth.

Back