• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 cuda,3 speed manual 340

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moparman!

Reaction score
Cause and effect is learned in science and engineering class genius! Lol your disqualified..

Moparman!

Reaction score
The discussion seems to have turned a bit lofty.. LOL The car world just like any segment that has a "collector" element sees items bought and sold based on a wide variety of factors, rarity might be one of them but not the only one. Rarity can and certainly does affect the value but it is relative to the item itself but more importantly is that the value is a direct reflection of the desire of the buying population. Just watch Antique Roadshow for a little while, there are plenty of "rare" things on there that aren't worth crap.

30 - 40 years ago, no one really gave a crap about Mopars and thus they had little value but once the investors and "collectors" became interested then the prices began to rise and rise...

Any manual E body, especially a performance car is worth money currently. You can argue until the cows come home about actual value but it would be in comparison to the rest of the breed which is the discussion here.
Lol rest of the breed going to remember that well put.

budascuda

Reaction score
From erroneously quoted scientific axioms to nonchelant medical advice, wow! who needs education!
But to some degree, you might be right, I do have to relax a bit, its just that every so often, someone gets on the site and hopes (and in some cases, they foolishly insist!) that everybody else should reaffirm the value of a car based on the owner's lofty expectations.

Ok, i think at some point Joey is gonna get in on this and start "cleaning up comments"😁,
But, I hope the following about E bodies is reasonable and clear;

A slant six E body in day-one condition is worth less than a 340 .............less than a Hemi in the same day-one condition,even if there was one of each ever built.

Also, the same would be true, if there was only one 340 car but six Hemi cars ever built. The Hemi would be worth more, even if all the 340 cars were destroyed after 50 years, except one! Each of the 6 hemis would worth more than the last surviving 340

Rarity will never out-value a factory performance downgrade"

Moparman!

Reaction score
From erroneously quoted scientific axioms to nonchelant medical advice, wow! who needs education!
But to some degree, you might be right, I do have to relax a bit, its just that every so often, someone gets on the site and hopes (and in some cases, they foolishly insist!) that everybody else should reaffirm the value of a car based on the owner's lofty expectations.

Ok, i think at some point Joey is gonna get in on this and start "cleaning up comments"😁,

A slant six E body in day-one condition is worth less than a 340 .............less than a Hemi in the same day-one condition,even if there was one of each ever built.

Also, the same would be true, if there was only one 340 car but six Hemi cars ever built. The Hemi would be worth more, even if all the 340 cars were destroyed after 50 years, except one! Each of the 6 hemis would worth more than the last surviving 340

Exactly another example.I agree

70chall440

Reaction score

I agree with this in general but this is not an absolute as nothing in the collector _______ (fill in the blank) world is. Point in case, Carrol Shelby's personal 260 AC sold for $13.75 million, sure it was #1 but it was also his personal car and as such provenance drove the price. Now, you could quickly say "well there were no others initially so it is not a performance downgrade" however if you then look at his personal 427 AC it sold for $5.94 million.

I am not trying to argue and I say I agree with your statement "in general", but there are way too many other factors to rely on merely that issue. If your link "rarity" with provenance then I do not believe the statement holds true "in general". There will always be cases where something sells for more than something else for seemingly inexplicable reasons only to find out that whoever paid the big money just had to have the car in question.

All this said, I think we all are essentially saying similar things and there are extremes in all directions but unfortunately TV, the internet and social media have created a monster in the car world where everyone is so concerned about the value of their car but even more disturbing is the elitist A holes that have been created in the hobby by the "fender tag and broadcast sheet " gurus. There was a day when the car was worth what it presented (meaning what you saw before you) but now everyone is wrapped up in the "numbers" and god help you if you don't have a fender tag or broadcast sheet because then according to many you basically have a parts car. The net result of that situation is what you see here, people concerned about how many of this or that were made instead of just enjoying what they have.

Moparman!

Reaction score

It's helirious when people don't read the post correctly,it doesn't state my car is better then yours or yours is better then mine.or I'm looking for a big value,it simply states if you have production numbers I want to see it..thats all nothing more nothing less.it just goes to show what people are using there brains and actually thinking!and the ones who are not..lol

Moparman!

Reaction score
I agree with this in general but this is not an absolute as nothing in the collector _______ (fill in the blank) world is. Point in case, Carrol Shelby's personal 260 AC sold for $13.75 million, sure it was #1 but it was also his personal car and as such provenance drove the price. Now, you could quickly say "well there were no others initially so it is not a performance downgrade" however if you then look at his personal 427 AC it sold for $5.94 million.

I am not trying to argue and I say I agree with your statement "in general", but there are way too many other factors to rely on merely that issue. If your link "rarity" with provenance then I do not believe the statement holds true "in general". There will always be cases where something sells for more than something else for seemingly inexplicable reasons only to find out that whoever paid the big money just had to have the car in question.

All this said, I think we all are essentially saying similar things and there are extremes in all directions but unfortunately TV, the internet and social media have created a monster in the car world where everyone is so concerned about the value of their car but even more disturbing is the elitist A holes that have been created in the hobby by the "fender tag and broadcast sheet " gurus. There was a day when the car was worth what it presented (meaning what you saw before you) but now everyone is wrapped up in the "numbers" and god help you if you don't have a fender tag or broadcast sheet because then according to many you basically have a parts car. The net result of that situation is what you see here, people concerned about how many of this or that were made instead of just enjoying what they have.
I agree very logical reasoning we need more people like 70chall440. Nothing but the facts.

budascuda

Reaction score
Ok, ok, lets see if we all have a reasonable understanding of the E bodies! (Not endowed by Shelby or any other celebrities)

🛫 Do we all agree that these cars are considered, first
and foremost , as performance cars?
Ok, is it better to have more performance in a performance car ? Or is it better to have less performance in a performance car ?
Ok, that argument is done.🛬

Now time for something completely different😁

I am ok with someone claiming that they sold a $ 10,000 car.
I am ok with someone claiming that they sold a $ 100,000 car
I am ok with someone claiming that they sold a $ 1000,000 car
I am ok with someone claiming that they sold an underpowered
$ 1000,000 car
Hot dam, I am even ok with someone claiming that they sold an underpowered forigne job for over $1000.000
What I am not totally ok with is when they say "MANY"
At that point there should be a formal introduction, so people can verify the bull chet* , not for our members here, we all know, but for guests who visit our site and would like to know if we are a solid bunch of folks on this site.
And yes, the last time I checked, 340 cudas are very rare, but that was the 4 speed😂😂😂😂
I, sincerely hope you can find within yourself the satisfaction that will help you sleep better at night.

And thus spake budha

********And this is to all my friends here, they know who they are;
I absolutely love the freedom of speech🚀. *************

* (Che) as in Chevrolet

Moparman!

Reaction score
Ok, ok, lets see if we all have a reasonable understanding of the E bodies! (Not endowed by Shelby or any other celebrities)

🛫 Do we all agree that these cars are considered, first
and foremost , as performance cars?
Ok, is it better to have more performance in a performance car ? Or is it better to have less performance in a performance car ?
Ok, that argument is done.🛬

Now time for something completely different😁

I am ok with someone claiming that they sold a $ 10,000 car.
I am ok with someone claiming that they sold a $ 100,000 car
I am ok with someone claiming that they sold a $ 1000,000 car
I am ok with someone claiming that they sold an underpowered
$ 1000,000 car
Hot dam, I am even ok with someone claiming that they sold an underpowered forigne job for over $1000.000
What I am not totally ok with is when they say "MANY"
At that point there should be a formal introduction, so people can verify the bull chet* , not for our members here, we all know, but for guests who visit our site and would like to know if we are a solid bunch of folks on this site.
And yes, the last time I checked, 340 cudas are very rare, but that was the 4 speed😂😂😂😂
I, sincerely hope you can find within yourself the satisfaction that will help you sleep better at night.

And thus spake budha

********And this is to all my friends here, they know who they are;
I absolutely love the freedom of speech🚀. *************

* (Che) as in Chevrolet
Sorry to burst your bubble 4 speeds are everywhere thats a fact! Maybe back in the day they were a rare option,but times have changed! Lol come to the present .I have driven both all facts..you know the definition of a fact right? Not knocking on 4 speed cars just stating the facts. Haha H a

70chall440

Reaction score
The E body line was not necessarily a "performance" line as evidenced by the many /6 and 318 cars offered rather they were a "sport" line made to appeal to youthful buyers. They were just cars of which some were more high performance than others, no different than a Camaro or Mustang of the same vintage. Yes we all like to think of them as performance cars but that is not the reality of it.

fasjac

Reaction score
Hi,does any one have production numbers for a 73 cuda, 3 speed manual, with 340 rally guages Can't seem to find it?just looking for numbers.
I have the same cuda. Also, searched the rarity of 340-3speed, rallye dash etc. (still have the 3 speed) couldn’t find much in the early 80’s. Unfortunately, the block was long gone so I just built it my way. Big block 4 speed. Now a 500 stroker 6 pack with 5 speed. If I would have had the block, it would be all original now. Still cool cars! Like the rest mentioned, you could pick anything available for that prod year.

budascuda

Reaction score
fasjac, how you doing with the cold? I hope everybody is ok!

fasjac

Reaction score
fasjac, how you doing with the cold? I hope everybody is ok!
Everyone survived! Hahaha
Gonna be 15 tonight, tomorrow in the 40’s.
By Monday we should see 50-60. No doubt a long week though. I’m thinking we’re ok for another 100 plus years lol. Our service Mgr from Minnesota even said today it was a substantial storm. Only difference is up there, all roads are cleared and business as usual. Glad it out of here.

budascuda

Reaction score
Oh....... , the liberated one...... , let us not be hasty in chalking up the
e bodies as anything ordinary. These cars were all "pony" cars, good for giddy up and nothing but.
They were specifically designed to look like a high performance car, even with a /6 under the hood, that's what made them SO appealing, they all looked pretty much the same, sassy! (regardless of the engine).

Ok, i like to take a moment and say this to all the folks with /6 and 318 engines in their e bodies, I love them all, in this day and age, these two engines have remained practical, inexpensive and reliable which is amazing. Chrysler wouldn't have been the same without these two engines.

The great Hemi's tombstone should be enshrined with 318s and /6s,
thats how I see it.

70chall440

Reaction score
There is no doubt that the E body was a huge move for for Mopar and one that I am very glad they did as I loved them from the first time I saw one. I was very fortunate in that during my formative years they were very available, subsequently I had a few of them. Back then I didn't car what engine it had because I intended to make the car into what I wanted it to be. This is one of the reasons it pains me so to see the numbers A holes that talk crap about a car that was a 318 car or a /6 car.

More infuriating (to me) is the bashing of cars/people that don't have fender tags or broadcast sheets and the absolute hatred that flares up when someone asks about getting a tag made for their car. I have read all sorts of crap to include wishing the person who wants the tag to die horribly. This is all because of the focus and pressure that collectors and investors have placed onto the hobby, its about uniqueness and dare I say "rarity" to define the pecking order that is the hobby when in fact each of these E bodies stand on their own.

I know this is going to piss people off but I believe that a E body that was born with a 318 but now has a 440 if done well is every bit as valuable as one born with a 440. Its about the car not the tag and I know not many share this feeling but so be it. I have a 70 Challenger RT U code car and a 73 Barracuda 318 car (now 416 stroker) and my Cuda is worth more than my Challenger because it is completely custom.

This is one of the reasons I love restomods, I like the classic look and attributes but also love modern drive trains and attributes (brakes, suspension, etc.)

budascuda

Reaction score
" wishing the person who wants the tag to die horribly"
Just wish them a special ops kind of death! 😂😂
But seriously, form the hobby side of the deal, that's fine, go from
/6 to440 and peper it with R/T emblems, no problem. It only becomes a problem when unscrupulous people take advantage of restomods and start replacing tags and broadcast sheets ......... and want to pass the car as a counterfeit (so they can make more, in some cases, ridiculously more money) , well, that pisses honest folks right off, including, collectors , purists and the hobbyist.
And rightfully so! Don't you think?

70chall440

Reaction score
This is where I come down on this subject which is not popular with many; the VIN is the VIN, it tells you what model the car is, what year it is and what engine it came with. So, someone cannot make an RT, TA, etc. without committing a felony. So if someone pays stupid money for a JH (318) car that now has a 440 6 pack in it, its on him and I hope he enjoys the car.

Where this becomes an issue is the adding of options which is what we are actually talking about and what everyone's panties are knotted up about because they are want to play "option poker". If a car is advertised with 6 way seats and there are 6 way seats in the car, I could give a crap whether it came that way or not when new, it makes 0 difference so long as they are in there at the time of sale.

To be up front, generally we are only talking about high dollar cars because the rest of breed tends to follow pricing trends meaning that each model tends to follow a value trend. I.e. a non hemi or 6 pack AT car is going to fall into a price trend based on its overall condition and to a degree options. But again, if those options are physically present then they are there and very few options really drive price with a few notable exceptions (4 speed, shaker and rubber bumpers come to mind).

So if someone were to go and look at a car that was advertised as something or as having certain options then the buyer should go and look for/at those options if it is important to them. If I bought a car that had a go wing on it but then somehow found out it wasn't made originally that way, that would not detract from the value of the car (to me), if it is there it is there.

Again, the problem comes in with the investors and collectors who are playing in the hobby. It is this group that has infused the ideas of originality and such into the hobby to the point that people have become fanatics about it. The truth is that is has little bearing on the normal person who loves his/her car or a specific model. While there are a few cars that are blessed to have all of the original documentation, this is abnormal as most of it was lost years ago but so much emphasis has been placed onto this issue that it has become emotional.

People bring up the "dishonest" sellers all the time like this is some epidemic but it is the hobby itself which has brought this one. If someone gets a car and has a tag made with every available option and puts every available option onto the car correctly, then it now has every available option. Should they disclose that they did this? Perhaps, that is an ethical call (not a legal one as some would try and suggest), but again if everything is there as it should be then it is what it is. In other words, "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, its a duck"... Again and for clarity, we are not talking about making Hemi cars, 6 pack cars or wing cars, we are talking about in most cases minor options that a car could have, should have would have had.

I will tell you right now that back in the day I scavenged a lot of parts out of junk yards and if a parts car had an option that my car didn't and liked, I got it and installed it. Now, no one gave 2 craps about a fender tag back then and no one ever questioned whether the option came on the car originally or not, they accepted the car for what it was. I cannot tell you how many cars I ripped the AC stuff out of, but the car was still considered an AC car and in todays world the fact that the car "was" an AC car now has some arbitrary value to the collector crowd despite the fact it isn't present or doesn't work. However, if someone along the way swapped in an AC dash someone is going to call it an AC car, but in the real world (outside of the auction houses) that AC dash would (should) not increase the value of that car substantially in most cases. Those who advocate that it does are playing "option poker" again.

Bottom line to me; buy the car for what it is not what it was.

Moparman!

Reaction score
I have the same cuda. Also, searched the rarity of 340-3speed, rallye dash etc. (still have the 3 speed) couldn’t find much in the early 80’s. Unfortunately, the block was long gone so I just built it my way. Big block 4 speed. Now a 500 stroker 6 pack with 5 speed. If I would have had the block, it would be all original now. Still cool cars! Like the rest mentioned, you could pick anything available for that prod year.
Hi,what do you mean couldn't find much in the 80's?

NoCar340

Reaction score
If someone gets a car and has a tag made with every available option and puts every available option onto the car correctly, then it now has every available option. Should they disclose that they did this? Perhaps, that is an ethical call (not a legal one as some would try and suggest), but again if everything is there as it should be then it is what it is. In other words, "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, its a duck"... Again and for clarity, we are not talking about making Hemi cars, 6 pack cars or wing cars, we are talking about in most cases minor options that a car could have, should have would have had.
I had a custom (joke) fender tag made for my Challenger, just to mess with the numbers people. Infuriating? Dishonest? Maybe, maybe not. I was able to get the tag made because it's so obviously fake that if someone actually thinks those options are original, they need to step back and re-evaluate their participation in the hobby. Seriously, if alarm bells aren't ringing when you read E55 D21 JH23 H4B 106___ then you'd better be buying what you like, rather than an investment. The TRANS AM tag next to it might just be a clue, too... but there are other impossibilities on the tag, including two blatant jokes that the tag maker found hilarious. I have no plans to sell the car at any point, but I'm obviously not trying to pull anything over on anyone either. I just can't wait to see the look on so-called "experts" faces when their eyebrows wrinkle and their mouths twist trying to figure out the tag... because every option will be on the car.

Bottom line to me; buy the car for what it is not what it was.
Spoken like a true enthusiast. The hobby needs more of us, and a lot less investors.

fasjac

Reaction score
Hi,what do you mean couldn't find much in the 80's?
Just meaning I probably have half the books they made all mopar muscle cars. And could find anything other than it was an option. If memory serves me, the 74 with the 360 was most likely the more “rare” if you will because production was going away for the Barracuda/Cuda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back