• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 cuda,3 speed manual 340

Status
Not open for further replies.

70chall440

Reaction score
I had a tag made for my 70 Challenger, generally it was/is very accurate except the color of the car. It was originally a EK2 car but I changed it to EV2. I have had a couple "experts" look at it and at first glance they didn't notice anything off, but the order date is wrong and after a minute or 2 they ask if the tag is a repop which I say it is. One guy then wrinkled his nose up and walked away but the other 2 guys that have seen it comment that its is pretty good overall. Point being that there isn't anything on the tag that isn't on the car and the fact is that if you know what you are looking at you can usually tell if the car was made for most of the more notable options.

On that note I am going to make tags for the rest of my cars and make up options for what the car has, like on my Cuda which has a 416 ci engine, that will be the code of the engine (even though the VIN will clearly show 318). I will invent a code for the 4 link rear, AAR hood, etc. Now if someone looks at the tag and thinks it is all original they need to take up golf or hire someone to tell them its a hot rod not a restoration but I will be happy (and proud) to tell anyone that I built it.

IMG_0018.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
My Valiant was missing its fender tag too, but I didn't care enough to have one made for that car. Instead, I installed the one out of my '84 Gran Fury AHB (squad car) because I still had it lying around... besides, it was already the right color. 😆

The whole "wrong tag" thing started for me as something a friend did on his '71 Demon. It's a B5/340 combo now, but was a factory brown Slant Six car. He was tired of hearing it from every "expert" passerby, so he replaced the OE tag with one from a '76 400-2V Monaco sedan. Nobody's said a word since.

70chall440

Reaction score
My Valiant was missing its fender tag too, but I didn't care enough to have one made for that car. Instead, I installed the one out of my '84 Gran Fury AHB (squad car) because I still had it lying around... besides, it was already the right color. 😆

The whole "wrong tag" thing started for me as something a friend did on his '71 Demon. It's a B5/340 combo now, but was a factory brown Slant Six car. He was tired of hearing it from every "expert" passerby, so he replaced the OE tag with one from a '76 400-2V Monaco sedan. Nobody's said a word since.

Now that is funny!!

Moparman!

Reaction score
Just meaning I probably have half the books they made all mopar muscle cars. And could find anything other than it was an option. If memory serves me, the 74 with the 360 was most likely the more “rare” if you will because production was going away for the Barracuda/Cuda.
Interesting thanks

Moparman!

Reaction score
From erroneously quoted scientific axioms to nonchelant medical advice, wow! who needs education!
But to some degree, you might be right, I do have to relax a bit, its just that every so often, someone gets on the site and hopes (and in some cases, they foolishly insist!) that everybody else should reaffirm the value of a car based on the owner's lofty expectations.

Ok, i think at some point Joey is gonna get in on this and start "cleaning up comments"😁,
But, I hope the following about E bodies is reasonable and clear;

A slant six E body in day-one condition is worth less than a 340 .............less than a Hemi in the same day-one condition,even if there was one of each ever built.

Also, the same would be true, if there was only one 340 car but six Hemi cars ever built. The Hemi would be worth more, even if all the 340 cars were destroyed after 50 years, except one! Each of the 6 hemis would worth more than the last surviving 340

Rarity will never out-value a factory performance downgrade"
I dont like your examples you can't compare straight 6 to a v8..lol seriously

budascuda

Reaction score
"If someone gets a car and has a tag made with every available option and puts every available option onto the car correctly, then it now has every available option. Should they disclose that they did this? Perhaps,"
If they fail to disclose that information, that's fraud.. It is a prosecutable offence, they broke the law, to what degree, well that gets determined in the court.
If a young man told me that he can't tell if something like this is unethical, then i would say to him to choose his profession carefully.......But, I guess its too late for some people.

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
I dont like your examples you can't compare straight 6 to a v8..lol seriously

Slant Six = Because it had to have an engine
V8 = Someone paid extra for a better (more desirable) engine

3-speed manual = Because it had to have a transmission
4-speed manual = Someone paid extra for a better (more desirable) transmission

That's about as direct a comparison as one could make. Seriously.

budascuda

Reaction score
So, how about an introduction to the amazing bird who sold many underpowered cars over million dollars?

Moparman!

Reaction score
Slant Six = Because it had to have an engine
V8 = Someone paid extra for a better (more desirable) engine

3-speed manual = Because it had to have a transmission
4-speed manual = Someone paid extra for a better (more desirable) transmission

That's about as direct a comparison as one could make. Seriously.
That's redicoules because someone had to have an engine! They produced a 6 do you realized how that sounds? Same can be said for a v8 ..also because they had to produce a 3 speed so they made a 3 speed? I suppose chrysler shouldn't of bothered stamping the vin on the 3 speed transmission so numbers matching doesn't count? Hahaha funniest comment ever.

Moparman!

Reaction score
That's redicoules because someone had to have an engine! They produced a 6 do you realized how that sounds? Same can be said for a v8 ..also because they had to produce a 3 speed so they made a 3 speed? I suppose chrysler shouldn't of bothered stamping the vin on the 3 speed transmission so numbers matching doesn't count? Hahaha funniest comment ever.
You do realize in order to have a numbers matching car both the tranny and engine must match numbers. .wow other wise plymouth would of stated 3 speeds are not good enough why bother stamping it or number match it..really ? You actually said that? Lol

budascuda

Reaction score
So, how about an introduction to the amazing bird who sold many underpowered cars over million dollars?

budascuda

Reaction score
You know guys, quapman used to say things like that about tags and vins ...... he even liked to say "don't get your panties in a bunch" and things like that, what hapened to him? I think he got embarrassed.

Where I come from, if i said that to a man and insinuaed that he is wearing a panty, well, that would start a Hatfields and Mc coys kind of a fude.😁

Moparman!

Reaction score
And your point is? In the real world under powered cars hold value just as well as high powered there's alot of examples. It's not limited to (high) only no exceptions..lol if you happen to think outside the box,please don't get me started or insult my intelligence.

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
The point is, I don't like fraud, or fraudulant claims,
But that's not important, I just think that its not nice to load it high and then trawel it flat in front of straight up folks.

Moparman!

Reaction score
The point is, I don't like fraud, or fraudulant claims,
But that's not important, I just think that its not nice to load it high and then trawel it flat in front of straight up folks.
I have no idea what your getting at. Just say it !!

NoCar340

Reaction score

Apparently you're so dense you don't realize the 3-speed was not optional? It was standard equipment because it was the cheapest thing Chrysler could put in a car and still have it move under its own power. If you didn't want a 3-speed--and few people did (or do)--you had to pony up more money for a better transmission, be it the automatic or the 4-speed. The exact same thing can be said of the Slant Six. The cheapest E-body possible? A Slant Six with a 3-speed manual transmission. You got a 340; yay for you. Too bad someone ran out of money before reaching the transmission check-boxes on the order form.

The way you worded your statement, it sounds as if you believe they actually created a 3-speed just for E-bodies. I hate to burst your bubble, but 3-speeds predate 4-speeds by a matter of decades. It was always the cheapest transmission available. The E-body three-speed was "created" by adding three lugs for a shifter to an existing tailshaft housing. Cheap? Well, I could make that modification to a casting mold in about under 5 minutes. Chrysler amortized that $0.25 in 1969 labor by also using said tailshaft housing on B-bodies--for which that particular 3-speed was originally made--as well from that point forward.

You do realize in order to have a numbers matching car both the tranny and engine must match numbers. .wow other wise plymouth would of stated 3 speeds are not good enough why bother stamping it or number match it..really ? You actually said that? Lol

No, I didn't say that. I never once mentioned numbers, but if you're so dense that you think numbers were stamped as some kind of guide or provision for future collectors, it's entirely possible that light actually bends in your presence. That rates among the most stupid things I've ever heard. Explaining the reason there are even numbers to match would simply open up an avenue to a new argument that you're too thick to realize doesn't exist, so I won't bother.

I have no idea what your getting at. Just say it !!

I think he means sling your bullsh!t elsewhere. I could be wrong... buda?

budascuda

Reaction score
"Thus turning a car into a rare low numbers car if that wasent true the cause and effect wouldn't of been introduced in science class..lol"

" I suppose chrysler shouldn't of bothered stamping the vin on the 3 speed transmission"

Now, English is not my first language,(that's why It sounds lofty, sorry) so i do make mistakes, but the above is your writing, your grammar is systematically defficient,
Get your tuition refunded for sure.

Nocar340, you hit it on the head, thanks.

Moparman!

Reaction score
Apparently you're so dense you don't realize the 3-speed was not optional? It was standard equipment because it was the cheapest thing Chrysler could put in a car and still have it move under its own power. If you didn't want a 3-speed--and few people did (or do)--you had to pony up more money for a better transmission, be it the automatic or the 4-speed. The exact same thing can be said of the Slant Six. The cheapest E-body possible? A Slant Six with a 3-speed manual transmission. You got a 340; yay for you. Too bad someone ran out of money before reaching the transmission check-boxes on the order form.

The way you worded your statement, it sounds as if you believe they actually created a 3-speed just for E-bodies. I hate to burst your bubble, but 3-speeds predate 4-speeds by a matter of decades. It was always the cheapest transmission available. The E-body three-speed was "created" by adding three lugs for a shifter to an existing tailshaft housing. Cheap? Well, I could make that modification to a casting mold in about under 5 minutes. Chrysler amortized that $0.25 in 1969 labor by also using said tailshaft housing on B-bodies--for which that particular 3-speed was originally made--as well from that point forward.

No, I didn't say that. I never once mentioned numbers, but if you're so dense that you think numbers were stamped as some kind of guide or provision for future collectors, it's entirely possible that light actually bends in your presence. That rates among the most stupid things I've ever heard. Explaining the reason there are even numbers to match would simply open up an avenue to a new argument that you're too thick to realize doesn't exist, so I won't bother.

I think he means sling your bullsh!t elsewhere. I could be wrong... buda?
You need to go back and read what you wrote about 6 and 3 speeds..you talk about dense.lets play a game .I will write down what you wrote? Then you write down what I wrote and we will see who has the correct facts? No Brainer and you talk about dense? Lol..your brain is so dense its clouding your logical thinking.🤔

70chall440

Reaction score
"If someone gets a car and has a tag made with every available option and puts every available option onto the car correctly, then it now has every available option. Should they disclose that they did this? Perhaps,"
If they fail to disclose that information, that's fraud.. It is a prosecutable offence, they broke the law, to what degree, well that gets determined in the court.
If a young man told me that he can't tell if something like this is unethical, then i would say to him to choose his profession carefully.......But, I guess its too late for some people.
"Prosecutable offense" for not disclosing that they added option??? By who the Mopar police.. I suspect your point is if someone stated that all of the options were factory and that was the driving factor in the sale them perhaps (yes perhaps depending upon who has the better lawyer) it could be considered fraud. However, you know damn well that this scenario is fraught with all sorts of holes;

- first you have prove he lied and to do that you would have know or find someone who knew the car when brand new (like the original owner) willing to testify that the car did not have any of those options

- second you would have to prove that the seller was the one who installed said options and given the age and number of hands these cars have gone through there is no telling who did what or when

This is the typical "scare" tactic I've seen over and over again. "oh if you make a fraudulent fender tag you are going to prison"... BS!! I will tell you right now that I know for a fact that several very high end cars have repop tags that were not exact copies of what the car was born with. In some cases it was because there wasn't a tag and the resto shop had to take a stab at including the options they felt the car would have had, in others a tag was made to represent what the car currently has.

Lets be up front here; making a tag is not generally illegal, I say "generally" because there might be a state where it is, I don't know. Changing a VIN is illegal, its a felony, in fact when everyone is replacing their E body dash pads they are in fact technically committing a felony, but a fender tag is held on with 2 screws (3 if you have 2 tags) and that is not covered under the law in most states.

Now back to the "fraud" thing, if someone purposely builds a car and adds a butt load of options in order to maximize his profit and does not disclose this, then yes you would have a case for fraud in a court of law as his/her intent was to deceive the buyer for financial gain. However if Billy Bob adds a longitudinal stripe and has a tag made along they way that shows the code for that stripe and not the rump stripe or no stripe, well good luck in court over that one because neither you or Billy Bob know what that car actually came with (unless he/you is/are the original owner or knows him/her).

Every time this subject comes up on a Mopar forum this is the crap that come flying out as if anyone with a different opinion is out rebodying cars and making up fake fender tags just to increase the value of their cars. The truth is that is these numbers A holes who are so focused on the importance of the tag and sheet that have made those without them want them. The fact is that if you want a tag, there are places that will make you one, they will put whatever you want on it, have been for years. The numbers guys can stomp their feet, threaten everyone with prison all they want, but unfortunately the law is not on their side and to be honest, neither is reality.

Now before you come back with some obscure over blown example of why this is "bad" I will revert to my previous statement of "buy the car for what it is". If you are worried because you are going to buy or have purchased a highly optioned car and are worried that someone might have more options because they have a tag made, get over it.

Oh and one other thing, as Mopar guys we know that the tags never really told the whole story, some tags had almost everything whereas other tags did not depending upon where the car was made, who stamped the tag, etc. So that then throws another wrench into this issue which is why all of the diehards jump right to the broadcast sheet, well I hate to tell you but they have been forged as well and with the increase in technology and the big money out there for some cars, I suspect it will happen even more.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck..... its a duck!

Moparman!

Reaction score
I had a tag made for my 70 Challenger, generally it was/is very accurate except the color of the car. It was originally a EK2 car but I changed it to EV2. I have had a couple "experts" look at it and at first glance they didn't notice anything off, but the order date is wrong and after a minute or 2 they ask if the tag is a repop which I say it is. One guy then wrinkled his nose up and walked away but the other 2 guys that have seen it comment that its is pretty good overall. Point being that there isn't anything on the tag that isn't on the car and the fact is that if you know what you are looking at you can usually tell if the car was made for most of the more notable options.

On that note I am going to make tags for the rest of my cars and make up options for what the car has, like on my Cuda which has a 416 ci engine, that will be the code of the engine (even though the VIN will clearly show 318). I will invent a code for the 4 link rear, AAR hood, etc. Now if someone looks at the tag and thinks it is all original they need to take up golf or hire someone to tell them its a hot rod not a restoration but I will be happy (and proud) to tell anyone that I built it.

View attachment 80013
Super nice car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back