• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

`70 FK5 A66 Resurection

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Not too worried about getting it painted up right now because there will be more machine work to do on it. I really just want to determine that it is a good core. I have another 340 coming from a guy on FBBO and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to need it for the A66 before I decide what to do with it.
No plans on going to that gathering, although it does sound fun. Are you going to Indy first weekend in march?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Ok guys. I must thank you because you have actually pressured me into doing something on it just so I could post a progress report, however minor. I have been preoccupied with a `71 Charger R/T that a couple of friends of mine and I picked up. It was about 80% restored when the previous owner got himself interested in something else and decided to sell. Between that, my `68 Road Runner and my real jobs I haven't found much time to dig into this project like i want to. I still have to finish dismanteling it so yesterday I removed the driver side window mouldings and pulled the front windshield to further expose what I new was already there, or not there as the pics show.

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

IMG_7727.jpg

IMG_7733.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

SchoberMotorsports

Reaction score
DetMatt1: If ya could, err when ya do, post some pictures of the progress of changing out the A Pillars n all that... I'll be doing the same on my car and I'd love to use yours as an example. It would definately be some help!

Thanks for the long awaited pictures haha :icon_smile:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I sure will. I was actually thinking I am going to start with the front of the car and work my way back. I replaced the lower A-pillars on my `68 Road runner and already documented it over on FBBO, see below. The process will be the same on this car, but I'm not so sure that would be a process that I would want to do with the car on a rotissery. In fact I don't think I will put this car on my rotissery until all the serious metal replacement is done. I went the rolling dolly route on that resto and never wished I had a rotissery for it.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=4469

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I finally got the news I have been waiting for from my engine guy, the original engine block was cleaned and magged and it checks out great! Will need nothing but a rebuild. I'm stoked to say the least!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Well I did spend a bit of time on this car on Sunday. At the tail end of a big concrete countertop job that was taking up alot of room in my shop. I was finally able to start making some room and reorganizing and I couldn't resist doing something with the A66, even if it was just removing the passenger fender and some of the last remaining trim. No suprises uncovered, it's every bit as bad as the other side!

IMG_8097_5.jpg

IMG_8096_4.jpg

IMG_8095_3.jpg

IMG_8094_2.jpg

IMG_8093_1.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Still dismantleing, I guess any progress is forward progress! Got the headliner/trim, dash and heater box out. This is one rough car that I probably would part out if it weren't for the fact that it is all #s matching. It will be fun though! Thought the tag on the dash pad was interesting.

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

IMG_8125.JPG

redlined

Reaction score
Looks like a heckuva project. Living in the desert, that much rust would scare me away. Gotta question. I once owned a 4 spd T6 dark bronze/black int. A66, built in LA 10/69. How many 4 spd A66's were built?

I don't see many Challengers of any creed that are T6, always wondered how many A66's were T6, and if I needed a good swift kick in the britches for selling it. I sold the car to a freind, now deceased, who hacked it into a pro streeter and painted it Sublime. Idjit.

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Very nice project and it was something I was wondering about tonight when I saw one pop up on ebay. I need to go back and look at the codes and see more about it.

Also tell me more about the 66 Charger project, you can pm.

The burnt orange seats are awesome my uncle had a 70 bee that Vit C with FK5 interior.

I also had an FK5 SE challenger with FK5 hounds tooth interior car that came with my R/T for parts. I never parted it and I sold both cars and the owner got the SE on the road and was working on the R/T.

Great project you have can't wait to see more.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Looks like a heckuva project. Living in the desert, that much rust would scare me away. Gotta question. I once owned a 4 spd T6 dark bronze/black int. A66, built in LA 10/69. How many 4 spd A66's were built?

I don't see many Challengers of any creed that are T6, always wondered how many A66's were T6, and if I needed a good swift kick in the britches for selling it. I sold the car to a freind, now deceased, who hacked it into a pro streeter and painted it Sublime. Idjit.

There were 2,819 340 4bbl 4spds built and I'm not sure that I have ever seen a T6 example. Do you have any old pics of it laying around? Do you remember if it had a flat or a rallye hood? If it had the rallye hood, do you remember if it had emblems or decals for the 340 engine callout? do you have the vin # in your records? If you do and you wouldn't mind forwarding it on to me I would pass it along to Berry Washington who has a registry that includes these cars.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
also tell me more about the 66 Charger project, you can pm.

The burnt orange seats are awesome my uncle had a 70 bee that Vit C with FK5 interior.

I also had an FK5 SE challenger with FK5 hounds tooth interior car that came with my R/T for parts. I never parted it and I sold both cars and the owner got the SE on the road and was working on the R/T.

Great project you have can't wait to see more.[/QUOTE]

The `66 project is long gone and hopefully well underway to being restored. I'm not big into the first gen Chargers but that one will be a very fine car if faithfully restored.
I like the Burnt Orange color on the outside and like it even better on the interiors. I have available for sale a `70 Road Runner 383 4spd N96 hardtop project for sale that was originally FK5 with white top and a white over FK5 bench interior. It's just a rolling chassis but is very restorable and has the fender tag still attached.

It's funny that this thread got a revival because I was just going to post some pics of it this morning. Not because I got anything done on it but I did move it to my new shop where I can spread out a little more and get busy on it!

The `70 RR project is in the pics as well.

IMG_8357.JPG

IMG_8358.jpg

IMG_8359.jpg

IMG_8360.JPG

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
also tell me more about the 66 Charger project, you can pm.

Great project you have can't wait to see more.

The `66 project is long gone and hopefully well underway to being restored. I'm not big into the first gen Chargers but that one will be a very fine car if faithfully restored.
I like the Burnt Orange color on the outside and like it even better on the interiors. I have available for sale a `70 Road Runner 383 4spd N96 hardtop project for sale that was originally FK5 with white top and a white over FK5 bench interior. It's just a rolling chassis but is very restorable and has the fender tag still attached.

It's funny that this thread got a revival because I was just going to post some pics of it this morning. Not because I got anything done on it but I did move it to my new shop where I can spread out a little more and get busy on it!

The `70 RR project is in the pics as well.[/QUOTE]

Thank you and pm in bound.

Also the one on ebay that is a 70 340 car is an FC7 car with white buckets.

I really can't wait to see your Challenger done and all your other cars. Is that a 68 Road Runner also in the pic :toothy9:I love the 68 RR.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The green car is a buddies `69 RR, my `68 RR is getting close to being ready for paint at another buddies body shop. `68's are my favorite as well!
I'll see your PM and raise you one back!

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
hey matt,just read your thread,man!! didn't think you were that far on the challenger.You wouldn't mind trading that 70 RR for a 71 charger,would you?

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
The green car is a buddies `69 RR, my `68 RR is getting close to being ready for paint at another buddies body shop. `68's are my favorite as well!
I'll see your PM and raise you one back!

Will check pm and raise you one back lol. I'm not good at gambling but I have three aces what does that mean?

Great looking cars and I'm like you 68s are my favorite and Chargers as well. I really like the round side marker lights of this year. I wish they kept it in 69 but I dont care for the 69 Charger lol.

Back