• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

383 Rebuild kit

MN71RT

Reaction score
Long time no posts, wondering about 383 rebuild kits. I have a numbers matching engine and look forward to completing it. Any kits out there to avoid? Thanks!

71RT383

Reaction score
Someone else can offer more info based on their experience(s) with rebuild kits.

Are you planning a cleanup/rebuild (due to Numbers matching), warm it over, modify, and so on ........?
If planning a DIY ( and have the experience, proper tools, clean work area) then ; Before you buy a basic or even a more invasive rebuild kit , it would behoove you to know the exact condition of All the components within your engine.
Take as many pictures as possible with notes.
There are items to consider that can affect the overall build and budget, be it a DIY or Engine Shop build.
The health of the entire block, cylinder bores, heads to name a few, can and will steer your build into a different direction and budget than originally planned.

Do what you want, what you can budget and afford, and what will make you happy, just do it once and do it right !
Good wishes on your project, post pictures and updates.

MN71RT

Reaction score
Someone else can offer more info based on their experience(s) with rebuild kits.

Are you planning a cleanup/rebuild (due to Numbers matching), warm it over, modify, and so on ........?
If planning a DIY ( and have the experience, proper tools, clean work area) then ; Before you buy a basic or even a more invasive rebuild kit , it would behoove you to know the exact condition of All the components within your engine.
Take as many pictures as possible with notes.
There are items to consider that can affect the overall build and budget, be it a DIY or Engine Shop build.
The health of the entire block, cylinder bores, heads to name a few, can and will steer your build into a different direction and budget than originally planned.

Do what you want, what you can budget and afford, and what will make you happy, just do it once and do it right !
Good wishes on your project, post pictures and updates.

MN71RT

Reaction score
Thanks for great input! Its been sitting since '85 in the garage. At the time it had 15K on rebuild. I'd rather pull it out and go through it or have it done (cleanup). Correct on finding out the condition of all parts first then move ahead. Will for sure need to budget at least 4K for this. I will post what I do, which would be next spring sometime..

MN71RT

Reaction score
I am hoping to return it to stock condition if the engine checks out, but it will be runner not a show car, meant to be driven even if #matching. Got the Challenger R/T in '77.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
Only 15 k miles? id put it in and run it. I just did the same with a bike project I did. 1975 bike sitting since 85 with low miles. Started right up and runs great.

IMO

Back