• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

14 Awesome Years

Scott19_72

Reaction score
14 years ago tonight, I was halfway back to San Jose from Pleasanton, CA having just purchased my 72 Challenger. I'll never forget how excited I was about the little things: the rumble of the exhaust, the rush of that first downshift/secondaries pulling open, looking out over those wicked dual hood scoops, and the neat floor operated high beam switch. The clock even worked - it was 8:15pm when I first settled down enough to notice it. Ok, it still said 8:15 an hour later when I got home. And still does to this day...

At the age of 17, having worked for two years straight to gather up the $5000 I traded for 'er, I couldn't have been prouder. You may as well have tossed me the keys to an F-18 fighter jet! And I drove it that way. Stock parts went into boxes, speed parts went on. Saturday night drag race victories out on Baily Avenue were an incredible rush and the few losses (we don't need to dwell) were still in good fun. Brakestands were plentiful. I learned how to repair every part, even picked up a job in Auto Parts to get discounts on my speed addiction in college. It ultimately shaped my career path.

If you would have told me that night I'd still own it in 2012, I wouldn't have doubted you. If you'd have told me I'd be doing a disc brake conversion on it for our 14th anniversary, I wouldn't have doubted it either. Of course the fact that my 3 year old son is helping me with that conversion is something that would have REALLY gotten my attention! That makes it a little easier to take some of those speed parts off and put most of the stock stuff back on. Funny how time changes things isn't it?

Choosing the Challenger may have been the best decision I ever made. Here's to another 14 years. Maybe by then I'll have the clock working...

dodge.jpg

dodge.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Great story. Thanks for sharing. I remember bringing my 71 Challenger convertible home in 1979. Like you, I still own it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Very kool story, congrats accross the board! Let us know how the disc brake conversion goes and include some pics with your son helping. You know you can have a quartz movement installed to get your clock working, I just had that done to the clock in my `67 Imperial.

Scott19_72

Reaction score
Great story. Thanks for sharing. I remember bringing my 71 Challenger convertible home in 1979. Like you, I still own it.

Awesome! I'll keep mine forever. Props to you for ALSO being able to laugh to yourself when someone says "I never should have sold that car..." :laughing7:

Scott19_72

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will definitely post picks of the project when I'm done. And for the record, a 3 year old using a 3/8 ratchet for its intended purpose is something to behold!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Awesome! I'll keep mine forever. Props to you for ALSO being able to laugh to yourself when someone says "I never should have sold that car..." :laughing7:
I have a picture that was taken of myself and a friend with my car in 1981. When I finish restoring my car we are going to get back together and recreate the pic over 30 years later.

Back