• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972 Challenger Rallye -- Restoration

Jooeys

Reaction score
Just going to start this thread with my Restoration ... Please bare with it as it may be a few year project.

Q. My car did come with a rear defogger but it is missing ... Wondering what the part and setup looks like .. Pictures would be a bonus

Q. Which restoration book is better Paul's or Jim's ?

picture to follow soon .. As I just started to strip it down

Jooeys

Reaction score
challenger 3-4 shot.jpgchallenger floor pans.jpgchallenger floor pans 2.jpgchallenger nose.jpg
Here is the car in the tear down process ... Looking worse with each piece I remove

challenger floor pans.jpg

challenger floor pans 2.jpg

challenger nose.jpg

challenger 3-4 shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jooeys

Reaction score
So here's a question to all you mopar people ... What items on my car will I have the hardest finding ? I only ask because if there are some items that I can't purchase and need to look for NOS parts, I can start that process now ..
Update on car ... Front fenders are off .. Engine and tranny to come out after Christmas

I think I forgot to tell all of you what exactly I have : it's a numbers matching car with original board cast sheet, fender tag, and factory documents came in it .. With alittle research I found out where the car was purchased and the second owner (first one has passed away) is sending me pictures of when he had it. Other then the repaint back in 1989 the car has sat in the corner of a farmers barn since 1999.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
What is your thinking on the shocks? Are you going to restore the car to be completely stock ? Or are you looking for the stock look, with upgraded performance ?
Make sure you take a lot of pictures before you take it all apart and package and label each subassembly as you remove them. Believe me, it will save you a lot of grief. Actually it would also help alot if you get an assembly manual before you go too much farther. It will save a lot of broken or damaged parts when disassembling. Everything doesn't always come apart logically.
If you are worrying about the value of your car, the 70-71 will always be more desireable and valuable because starting in 72 and up there were fewer options available. No longer available were the 383, 440, Hemi, six pak carbs. Convertibles, high compression engines, shaker hoods, in 73 came 5 mph bumpers, more emissions, less power. and more. As a plus though in 72 Electronic ignition became standard and in late 72 power disc barkes became standard also.
Really the best of both is to keep the body stock and upgrade the things that make a car a pleasure to drive, especially if you haven't driven cars this old before. Things like radial tires, gas shocks, poly bushings and new,top quality suspension parts. Power disc brakes if it doesn't have them. Those will really make a big difference in safety. If somebody ever wants the car totaly stock, these parts can always be changed back.

Take your time, ask lots of questions, (no question is a dumb question) take lots of notes and pictures ( we love pictures) and we will always try to keep you encouraged with your project.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Kool project, lets hear some details on how it left the factory. Looks pretty solid.

jfreakofkorn

Reaction score
Do you have the interior or was it missing out of it ....

Besides that, it looks fairly solid ....

Jooeys

Reaction score
I do have the complete interior less the drivers side knick panel ... It was a black / white combo

Jooeys

Reaction score
What is your thinking on the shocks? Are you going to restore the car to be completely stock ? Or are you looking for the stock look, with upgraded performance ?
Make sure you take a lot of pictures before you take it all apart and package and label each subassembly as you remove them. Believe me, it will save you a lot of grief. Actually it would also help alot if you get an assembly manual before you go too much farther. It will save a lot of broken or damaged parts when disassembling. Everything doesn't always come apart logically.
If you are worrying about the value of your car, the 70-71 will always be more desireable and valuable because starting in 72 and up there were fewer options available. No longer available were the 383, 440, Hemi, six pak carbs. Convertibles, high compression engines, shaker hoods, in 73 came 5 mph bumpers, more emissions, less power. and more. As a plus though in 72 Electronic ignition became standard and in late 72 power disc barkes became standard also.
Really the best of both is to keep the body stock and upgrade the things that make a car a pleasure to drive, especially if you haven't driven cars this old before. Things like radial tires, gas shocks, poly bushings and new,top quality suspension parts. Power disc brakes if it doesn't have them. Those will really make a big difference in safety. If somebody ever wants the car totaly stock, these parts can always be changed back.

Take your time, ask lots of questions, (no question is a dumb question) take lots of notes and pictures ( we love pictures) and we will always try to keep you encouraged with your project.

My goal on my car is to bring it back to factory stock in appearance, but with what you mentioned in regards to upgraded components. My one question regarding the factory shock colors was that I was told the factory rear shocks were Gilbert and blue in color and I wanted to confirm it.

moparleo

Reaction score
JUANVELDEZ had a set of new nos shocks and I believe they were black. I can highly recommend KYB gas shocks. I've run them on all of my cars since the early seventies. Smooth ride, no bottoming out on dips, reasonable price and you can always paint them black. Thats what I did on mine.

Jooeys

Reaction score
JUANVELDEZ had a set of new nos shocks and I believe they were black. I can highly recommend KYB gas shocks. I've run them on all of my cars since the early seventies. Smooth ride, no bottoming out on dips, reasonable price and you can always paint them black. Thats what I did on mine.

I also thought they should of been black .. Thanks Leo ....
I also have another question for all you Mopar fans .... In the rear trunk compartment ... There are two black rectangle pieces of medal which I would call " muffler shield brackets" ... My question is ... Do they repop these pieces ? Or do,I just need to repair what I have ?

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi Jooeys, About the rectangle pieces in your trunk, I'm changing out the trunk floor in my 71 and the new one piece floor came with only one of this pieces. Don't know which vendor I bought the floor from, you'll find them, super easy to install.

Steve

Jooeys

Reaction score
Going to remove the windshield and rear window tonight ... Then I can work on getting out the dash
Pictures to follow ..

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Looks a good project you got there, something you can really get ya teeth into :)
Check on the website The Challenger Messageboard and look for a thread in members cars by Burdar, he did an amazing job on a silver 73, so good it's almost become a reference for anybody with a later car.
I've got a 72 and I love it, been modded a lot drivetrain wise but still looks stock, compared to 70-1 cars it ain't worth jack tho!

Jooeys

Reaction score
Front and rear windows came out with no problem ... Dash to go, and engine and tranny ... Then time to save abit more money before I get it to the welder

Jooeys

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay ... Been busy with life stuff ..lol..
I finally had time to remove the steering column and the dash ... Not as hard as I thought ... ( with help from certain people from this site ... Thanks again "D"

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

image (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back