• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1st gear Hesitation

ram250098

Reaction score
I am guessing timming but what the hell do I know LOL
73 Cuda 383 4 speed.
The car has been and still is running great, but I have now noticed that under hard acceleration in 1st it sputters and losses power at a high rpm, 3500 plus. If I take off normally it is fine. This only happens in First gear.
Thanks
AL

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
could be timing , you need tpo be approx 16* at idle , 36-38* at 3000 rpm & I would disconnect the vaccum advance permanently . could also be a carb problem , low fuel level in the bowls would be my first guess , second would be accelerator pump adjustment but that would not cause the high RPM miss

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
fuel pump pushrod could be worn too but that should be more noticable in high gear

Cranky

Reaction score
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it does during the run. That's one way to see just what you have. You can tape/tie wrap the gauge to the cowl in order to watch it. How has it been running up until now?

ram250098

Reaction score
I have a fuel gauge on the fuel rail..never thought to look at it LOL.
The car ran great....I could pound on it all day without a problem, and then A week later I turned onto my road and gave it a shot and noticed the hesitation.
AL

Back