• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

213 heads, ports don't line up

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
I have a 73 440 with 213 heads in my 73 challenger. I've begun to year it town and have one of the heads off. When it ran it would always be hot, especially when stopped for periods of time. After taking one of the heads off I notice the metal shim head gasket doesn't have the same cutouts/ port holes for the coolant as the block or the head. The coolant ports in the head don't even match the ports on the block. Is it possible the heads were put on the wrong side with the wrong head gaskets? I can't even find a head gasket for a 440 that's has the cutouts for the 213's extra cooling ports.

Ive attached pictures if the head removed, the block and a generic picture of the head gaskets removed. Thank you for the help!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The block and heads should have ports that line up, you have a pic of the actual gasket? I think the 213 heads are motor home/truck units and might have had different gaskets because of a different water pump housing that routed water through the heads and block separately.

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
Here is the gasket that came out, it was identical to the ones I posted earlier before I tinkered with it,

image.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You can use motor home heads on any engine. The motor home heads and block had extra passageways for additional cooling. When standard heads are used on a motor home block or motor home heads are used on a standard block, part of the passageways become blocked. All the blockage causes is lack of the additional cooling. It makes the motor a regular motor as far as cooling goes.

Let's start at the beginning. Did you have a good working fan and fan shroud?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If I recall correctly the 213 casting was used between the 906 in 70 & the 346 casting in 71 /72 , so it is a normal wedge head not a motorhome head , the slots in the gaskets near the upper coolant holes are there to restrict water flow vertically forcing the to come all the way through the head to the upper corners so that is normal .

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
Stock fan, no shroud. Dual electric mounted to the back side of the stock rad. 180deg thermostat. Stock water pump and housing. Cars all stock minus headers, edlebrock rpm performer intake, 650 carb, exhaust, lunati cam, gear drive.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Electric fans do not move a lot of air , the best I have found is an 18" clutch fan & a proper shroud so air flow is pulled form the entire surface of the rad , retarded timing or lean fuel mix can add heat , rad to small or partially plugged , does it run cool on the highway at least ? What make is the thermostat , have you tested it in boiling water to make sure it opens fully before the water boils ? I have had problems with Motorad T stats & try to use Stant . 440 source alum water pump housings have been proven to be restrictive also if you have one of those . A high flow water pump may help , adding a spring in the lower hose can stop the hose from collapsing at higher RPMs

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I have a pair of these 213s, they are a '73 only casting, at least according to my reference material and are even listed as motor home units. The pair I have is cast in '73.
I do agree on running the stock cooling systems from Ma Mopar, mor than sufficient for most street cars.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like the proper shroud without the electric fan may solve your problem. The electric fan could be blocking air flow caused by the factory fan.

Back