• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

rv440 build and swap advice

shovelhead

Reaction score
Just dropped my 1974 motorhome 440 off at engine machine shop yesterday to go through and rebuild.3698830 -440 block.902 heads.
Im going to put her in my 73 challenger,i have read lots of advice/help but with so many variables it gets abit of a worry which way to go.(902 can crack??)
It will be a street car,big low to mid range tq and fun to drive,burn rubber but easy to drive.cruise.My builder wants to port/multi valve job,fully prep heads etc.Is it worth the effort or is ally heads best and simple bolt on way to go?.Im near 60yrs old and this will be a keeper so i want it right from the off.He will machine heads/block to improve cr.cam choice's ?He wants only US made cams,no far eastern,I have power brakes and want good vacuum,nice idle.
Is the weight saved by using ally heads noticable,ill be using performer inlet,850 dp,ally water pump,tti headers,727 trans,355 rear gears,27" tires.400hp/450 tq would be my target,anything extra would be a bonus.Any advice will help before my builder starts build next week.Thanks,Jon

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I will answer more completely when I have more time & welcome to the site !
Skip Comp cams at all costs , Lunati makes far better designed cams for Mopars .
Trick Flow 240 heads are also better than the factory heads .
You can order a 512 stroker kits from 440 Source than will give you all new parts for a similar cost to working with original parts & already balanced .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have built a number of 440/512 engines , this gets you over 8 lts & is bigger than the Viper engine !!
The only people disappointed with the 512s are the competition in the next lane !
The 440 source kit will get you new crank , rods , pistons , brgs & rings all balanced in 1 kit & you can adjust compression with piston choice , build it with quench & alum heads & you have a streetable monster !
I used Custom Lunati cams with 950 CFM Proform carbs or 1200 CFM multiport EFI , the RPM intake is good & Equal is the Holley street Dom which I port heavily , if you need more hood clearance or using multiport EFI you can use the Accufab T body which is 1/2 the height if a carb for more clearance . Normally I use solid grind cams & PRW stainless rockers for street engines & avoid alum rockers unless it si race only , I also avoid needle brg rockers , they have far less surface area over bushed rockers & failures can be bad withh needle brg parts , I use JP performance 7 keyway billet timing chains , Melling High Pressure Not High Volume oil pump , windage tray , Smith bros pushrods , this should put down about 420 RWHp & 475 ft bs on the ground on a mustang dyno , trust me this is a ton of power even if the #s seem low

shovelhead

Reaction score
Thanks for advice,im in UK and i want to keep it fairly basic,it costs me so much in shipping and taxes ,way more than the parts cost.i can get off a mate a performer inlet ,850dp,even ally heads in Uk,only headers will i import and afew bits n pieces.If i was in US that above build would be seriously looked at.Thats why the power/tq i would like are reasonable at a price.Driving 200 miles every weekend,cruising,fast take offs,making smoke and having fun is all i need to keep me happy.Thanks again

moparleo

Reaction score
Make your compression with the pistons, not by shaving the deck and the heads. You can always change the heads and pistons but you can't put the metal back on the block once its gone. That doing it the "cheap " way. You are replacing the pistons so it won't cost more for higher compression pistons but you will want to keep it no higher than about 10:1 using available pump fuel.
Talk to the engine builder. He will give you the specs on what machine work he wants for the combination.
Plan before you spend anything. Stick to the plan. You want to only spend once...
Old saying " The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I believe you have better fuel in the UK , you know better than I do , you ay be able to push higher compression if you do .

HemiCap

Reaction score
On a similar subject, a different question I have a 1977 440, either from a police car or RV, what does changing out the stock pistons that sat about 1/4 inch down in the block to KB piston, with a different pin height that puts them close to flush with the block deck, do to compression? Horse Power? Cubic Inches?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It increases the compression , much better HP & Combustion but I would use a Forged piston not a hyper KB piston .

Back