• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

331 Hemi

Tom

Reaction score
331 Hemi in a 1971 cuda. The install was easy, I lined up the transmission mount and modified the motor mounts. I did not have to modify the body at all. The power booster still fits with lots of clearance. The trans linkage lines up and I can use the original drive shaft. 008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

jimynick

Reaction score
It may not make the power of a 440, but the cool factor is way beyond! Still some hot rodders out there I see. :icon_thumleft:

Bill

Reaction score
Very cool. Looks real close on the passanger side.

dfrazz

Reaction score
Very cool. How are you going to install the headers on the passenger side?

Tom

Reaction score
The headers fit fine on the passenger side, it's the driver side that is tight because of the steering box. Since these pictures were taken I have raised the engine about 1/4 of an inch. I welded the motor mounts solid so the engine won't torque over and hit the shock towers. The metal on this car is perfect , so i don't want to dent or change anything that is not a bolt on part.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Some good stuff there Tom. I sure do hope you update this thread with lots of pics as you go. Will be a big help to others who may want to tackle this job. Keep up the nice work.

Tom

Reaction score
more pics

I only have single car garage , so I have to paint in sections, I pulled the hemi and got the undercarriage , inside the doors and under the hood painted, now i can start putting it back together.cuda 018.jpgcuda 019.jpgcuda 020.jpgcuda 021.jpg

cuda 018.jpg

cuda 019.jpg

cuda 020.jpg

cuda 021.jpg

Tom

Reaction score
cuda 053.jpgcuda 099.jpgcuda 102.jpgcuda 103.jpgcuda 105.jpg Here are some more pics. The motor is in and wired, just waiting for the rad. in the mean time i repainted the dash and went threw all the wiring. I am also waiting for the headliner so i can finish the interior. cuda 052.jpg

cuda 052.jpg

cuda 053.jpg

cuda 099.jpg

cuda 102.jpg

cuda 103.jpg

cuda 105.jpg

cuda 101.jpg

Tom

Reaction score
Yes ,I can't wait, but it seems winter doesn't want to leave this year. My headliner is still 4 weeks away, so that gives me time to get it running and make sure everything is operational. At this rate I won't be able to paint until late may or early June. Hopefully I can have it on the road by late June or early July.

74 challenger

Reaction score
Looking great and thanks for all the pics. Is the header on the pass side? Could you put a pic of that up.

Last edited:

Tom

Reaction score
I could not get the driver side header to fit , so I am running the manifolds for now. I did not take any pics of the headers.

ramenth

Reaction score
Ahh, one of the unforeseen problems with doing a swap of this sort. Elephant motor? They got you covered. Modern Hemi swap, they've got you covered. But going backwards on an engine swap? Not so much.

Back