• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 vin numbers

Jim k

Reaction score
Going to sell my 340 engine. Cleaning it up. Shouldn’t the vin be stamped on block under drivers side head ?

1315E205-A7AA-4369-9BB9-591670CAE76A.jpeg

budascuda

Reaction score
Warranty blocks/engines don't have a vin number.

moparlee

Reaction score
Check the machined area on the passenger side just above the oil pan rail. That's where it should be. If no stampings, then it's a warranty replacement block.

aussiemark

Reaction score
If it's a 68 block it will have a date stamp but no VIN under the LH head I think they started stamping the partial VIN on the pan rail in 69.

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
If it was 1 on the approximately 330 Dodge 340 engines imported into Australia then the original vin pad will be blank the Vin on these engines was stamped on the shoulder above the starter motor usually as a A331C then 5 numerical 00165 etc below

moparlee

Reaction score
Thanks for that information AUSTA. So did those 330 import engines go into new cars or were they like replacement engines?

AUSTA

Reaction score
They were originally for Racing see below

The Charger 770 SE (Special Edition) featured the E55 option; which was the 340ci 4bbl V8 engine, many motoring journalists correctly reported at the time as being imported by Chrysler for an aborted racing touring car homologation exercise. Chrysler Racing Manager John Ellis stated at the time that a ute fitted the 340ci V8 (and the same wheelbase as the R/T Charger) was track tested at the Mallala circuit in South Australia by racing driver Leo Geoghegan (and on local roads by Leo and his brother Ian), but was found to be 2–3 seconds slower around Mallala than the E49 (the heavier V8 at the front caused severe understeer and required earlier braking than the Hemi six). Despite the slower lap times at Mallala, it was expected that the extra power of the 340ci V8 would have worked better on the long straights and uphill runs at Bathurst where there were few heavy braking or tight corners. John Ellis then incorrectly stated that the 340ci engines were not imported for Bathurst and that an R/T 340 Charger was not being considered.[2]

336 340ci engines plus 4 speed gear boxes were imported by Colin Adey under direct instructions from Chrysler Chief Engineer Walt McPherson. Chrysler General Manager David Brown and Walt McPherson had discussed the short comings of the E49 265ci and decided the 340ci was to be the next R/T Touring Car. This information never filtered down to John Ellis.[2]

Due to bad press coverage at the time the 340ci program was aborted and Chrysler did the only thing it could do which was to recoup the cost outlay by selling the stocks of the imported 340ci engines. The engines were sold off in the upmarket 770 SE (Grand Tourer) Charger.[2]

The SE was fitted with an imported 'Torqueflite' 727 transmission, Chrysler further watered down engine performance by using a single pipe exhaust system. Apart from its unique engine, the Charger 770 SE featured other signature details such as combination black and white vinyl trim and one with single colour Maroon vinyl trim, turned metal dash facia, and it was only available in three body colours, namely Vintage Red (Bright Red), Limelight (green), and Sunfire (yellow metallic). Production records indicate that Chrysler manufactured a total of 125 VH Valiant Charger 770 SE cars, two of which varied from standard specification in being painted White and one Deep Maroon.

Jim k

Reaction score
what are you asking? what side of the world are you and is it complete?
Just north of Detroit. It’s complete. Ran strong when I pulled it. Just have to pull a head to check bore size. Then I’ll put it up for sale. You can pm me if you have any interest.

SRKlegin

Reaction score
Going to sell my 340 engine. Cleaning it up. Shouldn’t the vin be stamped on block under drivers side head ?

View attachment 58898
Where are you located. I have a 73 340 long block. Sourced out of New York. Cylinders require sleeving. I am a bit skeptical about sleeving all 8 cylinder bores...

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Not sure what that number means.
The year cast is what will sell this motor.
Anyone looking for a specific year will usually be the purchaser,probably.

Back