• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 Head Porting

72barracuda

Reaction score
How deep can I blend the intake guide boss tail on 360 heads? Can I blend it all the way down to the roof of the intake runner without hitting water?

moparleo

Reaction score
Unless you have a flow bench and have done porting before, it is best to just smooth the ports not remove a lot of material. Best results to port match the intake to the intake gasket about 1 inch into the port and just smooth the rest. If you are just" blending" the ports, you shouldn't have to worry about the water jackets. Mopar Performance sold porting templates that the novice could use and get pretty good results. Just take your time because you can't put back what you take out.

72barracuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I am a novice, no flow bench, following the article "double take 360" in Mopar Muscle Feb 2000. I havent worked on the intake manifold to head surface yet. I am working on the part of the guide boss that hooks over into the air flow. There is a hump there that I would really like to take down. Cant tell from the article if they did or not. I have ony worked on the guide boss material so far, widening the path but not taking the hump of the roof.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I form a wing shape aroundthe guide , round into the air flow & knife edged away from the flow , if you twist the tail over to one side you can help create swirl as well , do not go too deep but you can easily form a wing

moparguy

Reaction score
let me know how it goes and leo I would like to know more about those porting templates

72barracuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, I won't take much off the bump on the roof for now and just work on the boss and ports. Maybe I can get the flow checked afterwards.

moper

Reaction score
I don't like touching the guide areas very much unless you plan to work the entire port. It's pretty easy to really mess up a head by enlarging (adding to the volume) the bowl too far and when you remove the guide boss, you add a lot of volume to that area.. The templates were great for not letting that happen. With porting, less is more in most cases...

Back