• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 vs gen 3 hemi

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
About that.360 stroked.his brother told me that the not 360 would clean his clock like yesterday was over a week ago. His stock 69 Charger 440 General LEE. If you take notice The charger dash is singed by some members of Dukes of Hazard. If there is a 360 in it I would make the best of what I have. With my deep pockets I would also build a 3Gen for latter.Or end up putting into something else latter. I don't know if at some point some parts or things will be available. Depends on do you want a stock look or a mod look.

challenger dave.jpg

dodge charger signed.jpg

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Having done a number of these gen 3 swaps I agree there is significant cost involved .
The manifolds will not fit so you have to buy headers & a good quality set that fits correctly saves $
Oil pan & pick up Have to be modified , As well as some oil filter set up .
Electronics for the engine is a must .
Mounts are a must .
Wired throttle pedal is a must .
Adapting the power steering to the original box & newer pump is a must .
Fuel system for EFI is a must .
Flywheel or flex plate is unique & must be purchased .
You cannot bolt on a clutch fan ,so a rad & fans are required .
None of this is available used .
Even if you drop 20k on the Mopar crate a lot of the supplied parts don't work such as oil pan & oil filter adapter .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If they are done well sure take your time & do quality work they can be reliable .
Anything man made can fail even brand new cars

fk5aar

Reaction score
Will the 6.1 hemi fit in a 70 challenger or is rhe 5.7 as big as it will hold?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The external dimentions are the same just the locations of accessories & superchargers etc may need to be reorganized

fk5aar

Reaction score
Is it hard to get the 5.7 hemi up to around 500hp? That’s about where I want to be on my 70 challenger rt

scar426

Reaction score
Is it hard to get the 5.7 hemi up to around 500hp? That’s about where I want to be on my 70 challenger rt
Hard no......Expensive? Eh a bit more than a conventional small block, but there is some "simplicity/safety" that comes with it by way of modern computer controlled tuning and such. The CPU adjusts timing and fuel at the micro sec level without any input from you. A traditional stroker small block and carb setup is a set it, run it, reset it, re-jet it, re time it, etc... etc... endeavor. You start to get detonation, you gotta shut it down, modern computer control it adjusts it for you (for the most part and it's NOT fool proof of course, but miles better). Consider this, a lot of people are taking bone stock LS motors and pushing them upwards of 1000hp and they are still drivable and last. Not exactly rocket science, but good engineering and modern computer-controlled electronics. Ultimately....What do you want out of the car and what do you want to spend???

moparlifer

Reaction score
a 6.4 Crate motor fits and is 485HP out of the box. so does a 6.2 hellcat motor (with some mods to the rear cross-over)
Headers alone should get you to 500+HP on the 6.4
It's a bit spendy but pretty easy as all the info. and parts are out there and on here.
Unless you have a numbers matching unicorn, you might be happy with the benefits of 50 years of engineering progress if you want to drive it a lot and to distant car meets etc..
I took the plunge because all my 440s that were in parts and storage the last 25 years would cost almost as much to build as a good used Gen 3.
I got lucky and found a new 6.4 crate motor on Craigslist for a nice discount and that's what made my decision for me.
my 2c

Drivun

Reaction score
Build the 360 for power and add efi for mileage. Save your money on the 5.7 conversion cause you need an overdrive trans to get mpg. Aforementioned Tremec or go tomSilver Sport Transmissi9ns to get their 4 speed automatic kit based on a GM 4L60e.

Back