• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 wont crank

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Sure , Happy to !
There is a lot to this , Mopar uses a larger diameter lifter which is a big advantage IF you design the cam to take advantage of it so the cam can ramp open & closed much faster without getting to the edge of the lifter . Comp designs are mostly based on Chev lobes using a smaller diameter lifter so the advantage is lost . In fact i Have seen the exact same cam spec on chev & Dodge cam grinds . By using the Mopar specific lobes I have been able to run solid flat tappet cams that are similar to smaller solid rollers cams without the expense . Even when the cam specs are similar you are only looking at 1 point on the lobe not the whole curve up & down , for example 240* @.050 , ok so .050 from closed the duration is 240* but what happens between .050 lift & .340 lift , how fast is the valve opened or closed ? This makes a huge difference as the longer the valve is opened the more air flow in & out & the motor is Only an air pump so more air = more power !
Back in the 80s there was a cam company called Ultradyne , & a man named Harold who designed those cams using the advantage of the wider lifter , later when Ultradyne closed down Lunati hired Harold & redesigned all of there cams thus the Voodoo line of cams . For example I often used a TF57 lobe which was 252* @ .050 duration with .578 lift in street engines & it was awesome , for example I built a 440/512 using 2 lobes , the exhaust was using this lobe & I was able to get 660 Grosshp [1970 rating ] while getting 17.9 mpg at 75 mph
Other cam companies have also used this wide lifter advantage in their cam designs Engle & Hughes come to mind & truely max out the advantage .
I have dynoed a lot of engines & the cam is really the most critical part of any build & the Mopars running Comp cams tend to be generally down on power & often significantly as in sometimes 30% .
SO if you spend all of the $$ to build an engine why throw away power that really costs no more , it is not like Comp cams are 1/2 the price of a Lunati !
Questions Please ask .... I am happy to share & If you feel I have helped I also accept donations .
I am also happy to call you & discuss things if that helps .

Last edited:

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
Chryco that’s some good information. Too often we see, use Lunati or Hughes or insert brand because that’s what I use on everything. No technical basis.

You are a wealth of knowledge and willing to help, I am sure once I pick a direction to go on a motor I will be hollering at ya to get an idea of the cam suggestion so I dont leave unnecessary power on the table.

CMC

Reaction score
Good to know!! :)))

So can we stir lose those 2.0+ stainless steel valves?

What lunati would be the best for my 340?

KB pistons.

Maybe J heads

Building a cruiser but want to be able to get out of the way.....

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Cam choice involves everything , Auto or manual trans , vacuum for power brakes , stall speed for the converter , intended use / range where you need power , rear end gearing , headers or manifolds , intake manifold , after market or ported or stock heads [ if the port stops flowing at .500 lift no point in have the valve open to .575 ]

I would serious skip the X or J heads CMC , if you can find them the 308 swirl castings from 87-92 will kick their ass ! Also skip the KB pistons , the Speed Pro forged don't cost much more but are a far better piston , I refuse to use Hyperutectic pistons in any build the price difference is less than the cost of a gasket set to rebuild it .!

OK story to back it up , I swapped ported X heads for Ported 308 castings , we dynoed the 340 on Thursday swapped the heads on the weekend , went back to the same dyno on Wed & made 41 RWHP more .

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
Ok. So I took my ignition box off. Made sure the box was grounded well. Checked all plug/wire connections. Checked cap was connected in the right order 18436572.

Took the eddy 1806 off. And bought a brand new eddy 1906 650cfm carb. Set the idle mixture screws to 1 1/2 turns out. Didn’t touch idle speed or choke. Cranked it up. Fired off and ran high idle with the choke. Let it run prolly 20-30 seconds. Blipped the throttle a few times to see how it did through the range. Did great. Go back to idle and died and would t restart. I admit I’m not a great carb guy. Only messed with efi or diesels. Plenty of time with small race quad carbs. Just not sure.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Ok well start with the basics the floats are never set properly after shipping so check that first

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
I’ll make sure a 7/16 bit goes under while touching it but not causing deflection. Once I get off work.

CMC

Reaction score
Good Stuff!!! Chryco....good stuff

So I checked into the 308s; sounds good. and i like sealed power too.
But where does one get lifters to go with that set up?
springs, and the right rods??

I plan to run 3:55's in the back, A/T 727, TTI headers,,,AAR side exhaust; PWR Brakes, and not sure what im going to do with the Torque Converter at this point.....just tryin to plan a buil dof a kick ass motor

HP does matter----Std manifold - maybe Holly 4 banger

....CMC

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
We got a split thread here. 😄 I got the eddy adjusted today. She is still a bit fat but she is running and idling. Took her down the road. She loads up a bit, need a bit more adjustment. Time to get a calibration kit. The idle isn’t affect by the idle mixture screws either, I think that’s because she is fat. Thoughts?

CMC sounds like you got a good plan going, I have some worked j heads that I’m rethinking now for some 308s or aluminum heads for the next motor.
Thanks for helping me spend money 😉

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
we should really split this thread out .
CMC
I am not helping either of spend you money , I am just helping you spend it wisely as you would spend it anyway !
Roseville has the Mopar lifters , Lunati sells kits with lifters & springs . You will need 10* locks & retainers .
the stock intake is remarkably good on the 340 , The LD 340 is a great intake if you can find one & the RPM air gap is good too but tall .
You can probably be looking at the Lunati 703 or possibly the 704 cam

JD
Often if the mixture screws have no effect the throttle plates are open too far & the idle slots are uncovered so opening the rear throttle plaes is a good solution but you cannot do that with the Eddy Carb also going to a smaller air blled is a good move but you cannot do that with an eddy carb .... so maybe you need to drill a small hole in the throttle plate so more air gets in while the throttle plaes can be closed down to make the mixture screws effective .

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
I’ll give that a shot potentially CP. I tried to crank it this morning and drive it. Did great. A couple hours later same. A few hours later while on uneven ground no luck. I think I still have a float issue potentially, right at 7/16 like the manual says but I will check my fuel pressure. If it’s high I am thinking of squeezing the floats another 1/16 closed and see if it helps. Correct me if I’m wrong (prolly am) if I swap to a leaner main jet. That’s still part of the idle circuit no? Would that not help a bit?

Other thought is I have some worked J Heads and an air gap Intake on the shelf and that crappy comp cam. (Just buy another most likely) but thinking may just do a new top end on it and that should help the richness albeit in a crazy round about more labor involved way.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
if the fuel pressure is high add another 1/16 so the float sits lower .
Main jets have nothing to do with Idle

Your call if you want to redo the top end

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
Losing my mind I think. New mechanical pump dead. Old pump installed and now dead. I’m keeping the arm beneath the eccentric. And they pump well for a bit then quick. Could the eccentric have any issue or thoughts? Half tempted to put an electric pump and regulator on it and be done with it.

Back