• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

383 Engine ticking or clicking noise

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I have a 72 challenger with a 383 in it. I have a ticking or clicking noise coming from the driver side. It sounds like its coming from the aft part of the valve cover. If I increase the throttle it does not seem to increase. Any advice.

ramenth

Reaction score
Got stethoscope? Fairly cheap at any of the parts houses. A long screwdriver with the blade end against the engine in the suspect area and your ear against the handle will do, too. Move it around until the sound gets louder.

Suspect, for me, is maybe lifter not pumping up. Under increased throttle the oil pressure comes up and the noise either doesn't increase or it goes away. The 318 in my Ramcharger did this for years.

Pull the valve cover and see if any of the pushrods are loose or the rockers are tight.

moper

Reaction score
If it's ticking, but it doesn not raise with rpm, then you might want to look into the gear shift or kickdown linkage to se if they are lose or hitting something. Also check the starter with a stethoscope while the car is running. Pretty much any other option will change with rpm.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I pulled the Valve cover off and didnt see anything wrong. I do have hydraulic lifters. I will try a stethoscope

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Torque converter bolts loose & hitting the inspection pan or block , could be loosing a cam lobe too if you do not have enough zddp in the oil you are using

Gribb

Reaction score
I just had the very same problem. On firing mine up for the first time after some head work, one of the rivets on the oil baffle was loose underneath the valve cover. It would clang the same at idle and while racing it up.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;thWKlPC5lZw]http://youtu.be/thWKlPC5lZw[/video]

Here is a video of it

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
well think it was my starter solenoid. Will know tomorrow but I just replaced the starter a month ago and now the car won't start.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
Will I removed the header and replaced the gasket and put back together. So far no noise.

Back