• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 a/t to manual trans question (pilot hole)

73E

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there’s a pilot shaft hole in this motor to convert to manual transmission?

engine block stamped
7 T 440 TE
6. 8

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there’s a pilot shaft hole in this motor to convert to manual transmission?

engine block stamped
7 T 440 TE
6. 8
Look at the back of the motor where the crank comes out. Most aftermarket ones have the hole already in them.

Daves69

Reaction score
Likely not but one never knows unless it's been confirmed by previous work and documented. The numbers you post won't tell ya'.
Some auto cranks were drilled to depth but not finished for the bushing. Others just have a center drilled.
Rather than drilling the crank, many just use the converter register for the newer roller bearing which requires the trans input shaft to be shortened. Either way you go you SHOULD dial in the new bell housing. I feel it a necessity for the bearing.
Lots of threads out there if you do a search.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Likely not but one never knows unless it's been confirmed by previous work and documented. The numbers you post won't tell ya'.
Some auto cranks were drilled to depth but not finished for the bushing. Others just have a center drilled.
Rather than drilling the crank, many just use the converter register for the newer roller bearing which requires the trans input shaft to be shortened. Either way you go you SHOULD dial in the new bell housing. I feel it a necessity for the bearing.
Lots of threads out there if you do a search.
Roller bearings much better than the old style. The old bronze ones are junk and roller bearings are cheap on eBay. Mr Eberg has them in his store.

Back