• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 heads

CudaKeith

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the site and have a question that may have been answered already.

I'm buying a pro street 73 Cuda that was originally a 340 car, now has a 440 six pack in it. The seller says it has 906 heads. I've only had small blocks before. I know the difference between X and J heads for small blocks. As far as factory heads go, what are the best RB heads? Are B and RB heads interchangeable? What are the best out of the box aftermarket heads, either aluminum or cast iron?

I've read quite a few threads from different sites comparing a six pack set up to a single four set up. I plan on running this car in Street Automatic as often as I could. This might be only once or twice a month. Would you ditch the six pack set up for a single four, or keep it and deal with the tuning for the cool factor?

Thanks in advance for any help/opinion. I know opinions and tastes vary, but I value the opinion of people who know more than me, and that's a lot of people.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
All B & RB heads will swap . the 906 is considered by most to be the best head but personally I will not use them , theywere a pollution head & have no quench . I only use the 516 / 915 closed chamber heads , you can run a lot more compression without detonation with them . Of all the Alum heads first you have the problem of needing to get close to 11:1 compression as alum absorbs more heat this is best accomplished with a flat top piston for best burn & a small combustion chamber , this is easily done with the stroker builds but can be difficult with a 440 build as you cannot get a small enough combustion chamber with a flat top piston . The best head is a long debate , the old Bulldog heads were very good but long gone , I like the Indy EZ heads & the New Super Stealth looks like it has a lot of potential . I have had poor results with the eddy RPM head , the Eddy Victor is better but needs a lot of machining to make it work , it is not even close to a bolt on & go head .The Chapman / Mopar stage 6 heads are one of the best heads out there but at 3x the price of most alum heads no one I know has bought them .
The 6 pack has the Cool factor but nothing more , a Street Dom or Eddy RPM intake & Proform carb will definatly make more power . I assume you have the vacuum secondary 6 pack not the fully mechanical race carbs , tuning is not bad as long as you look at it as one carb with the center carb as the primary & the outboards as a single secondary , one of the best conversions is to add the jet plates to the outboard carbs so jetting can be dialed in better .

CudaKeith

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. A stroker might be in the future plans, but for at least next summer I have to make due with the current set up. It is the Holley vacuum set up on there now.

Back