• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 turn key motor

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Try Craigslist etc , be very careful buying anything built already so you need to have reciepts etc .

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
You're better off buying a crate engine from a place like Jegs, Summit, etc. I bought my 440 off craigslist and the person told me the engine was just rebuilt and gave me the receipts from the shop. Well I had the pull the oil pan off to put the correct pickup in it, I then noticed the rear retainer was cracked and the main bolts were not torqued down. Then I found some "crap" in the engine itself. I ended up taking it to my engine shop and had it tore down and there were all kinds of problems. I ended up spending another $2500 having this engine redone correctly. So I went back to my receipts, and called the previous shop and of course, they were no longer in business. I wonder why. Either find a reputable shop to do the work or buy new.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It may be hard to find a large company anymore for the motor. Reputable is a must. Educate yourself as much as possible about engine building. It will help you when you go to get a motor.

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Sadly even a good crate engine, even a Mopar Perf one, or any other for that matter, should be pulled apart and carefully inspected before use.

Reaction score
I would very seldom if ever consider a engine was rebuilt correctly, unless there was plenty of proof along with receipts. Everyone claims the engine they are selling is rebuilt. You never know who was tinkering with an engine. I get a kick out of these guys posting on craigslist, posting about their car and it has a "rebuilt engine" with only 69,000 miles on it. Best to find a reputable shop close and watch the build best as possible. At least this way you normally have some kind of recourse if anything is wrong with the engine. It is kinda hard dealing with a place long distance!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Sadly even a good crate engine, even a Mopar Perf one, or any other for that matter, should be pulled apart and carefully inspected before use.

I agree totally , we had a Mopar crate , I did a tear it down fortunatly , it would not have run the way it was , the cranks and rods were installed dry , no bearing lube at all , the cam was locktited into the brg at the rear & would have destroyed the brg on fire up , also the cam was not installed properly , it was one tooth off on the chain which is how I found out the cam was locktited in place , numerous other problems as well . Even after all that it had to be torn down again & balanced as they had used a light weight piston with factory balancing it shook so badly the dash was bouncing 3" at 2800 rpm

Back