• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

5 speaker AM FM 70 Challenger R35 questions

440forPOWER

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone tell me if the R35 option 5 speaker thumb wheel radio cars had the knob fader switch. And if so, where was it located? Or did the balance wheel on the radio replace that? My Challenger is coded for the R35 but it was gone when I bought the car. And there is no sign (in the typical places) of a fader switch. Thanks

EW1BH27

Reaction score
This might help

440forPOWER

Reaction score
I don't have a hole or spot in either place. Dumb question, but would a rear defrost option eliminate a rear fader?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Does this help? I'm guess the knob labeled "SPEAKER" is the fader knob.

1000006126.jpg

440forPOWER

Reaction score
I'm about 99% sure my Challenger has the factory dash pieces yet. And it doesn't have a hole there or to the left of the steering column. That's what's confusing me.

Xcudame

Reaction score
The one picture in the link EW1BH27 attached and the sheet I posted looks like the knob is in the bottom of the Rallye Instrument Cluster bezel. Is there a hole in your instrument cluster bezel?

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Reading through that link and closer look at the pictures in it, it would appear that:
Rallye - fader switch on the heater panel
Standard - fader switch on bezel, roughly under the Temp gauge.

Rear defog switch is on the switch panel under the wiper switch so it's not a factor.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Assuming it's a rallye instrument cluster, perhaps the heater control panel is not the original one?

440forPOWER

Reaction score
Thanks, but I was wondering if the rear defrost would or could eliminate rear speakers. Not the placement of the switch. It is a rallye dash. I guess the heater control panel could of been replaced.

440forPOWER

Reaction score
The one picture in the link EW1BH27 attached and the sheet I posted looks like the knob is in the bottom of the Rallye Instrument Cluster bezel. Is there a hole in your instrument cluster bezel?
I'll take a look. But not that I remember

440forPOWER

Reaction score
The picture Xcudame posted shows it right above the radio just to the left. It is a rallye dash R35 Thumb wheel radio.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Thanks, but I was wondering if the rear defrost would or could eliminate rear speakers. Not the placement of the switch. It is a rallye dash. I guess the heater control panel could of been replaced.
Sorry 'bout that. No it won't, lots of good pictures showing the adapter in this thread

Let me repeat. With rallye dash fader should be on the heater control panel. Standard dashes have it above the radio.

440forPOWER

Reaction score
Sorry 'bout that. No it won't, lots of good pictures showing the adapter in this thread
[/URL]

Let me repeat. With rallye dash fader should be on the heater control panel. Standard dashes have it above the radio.
So the above picture of the fader being next to the left of the thumb wheel is wrong? Not trying to be a smart a## Just want to make sure I search out the correct parts. Thanks

440forPOWER

Reaction score
So the above picture of the fader being next to the left of the thumb wheel is wrong? Not trying to be a smart a## Just want to make sure I search out the correct parts. Thanks
Never mind, I thought the picture clearly showed a rallye dash. It must be a standard. Thanks

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
At least a true man knows how to eat crow. "especially" when he dish's it up himself

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
My assumption is somewhere in the car's past, a previous owner swapped out the original heater control with one that didn't have the fader knob. Probably installed an after market stereo and didn't need the fader knob anymore. After about 30 years (go figure) the heater control is notorious for the plastic breaking (I'm on my 3rd one in my Challenger). That would explain your lack of a hole for the fader knob. I'm guessing a small percentage of cars had R35 so if the most of the heater control panels wouldn't have the hole.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As Xcudeme said. "I think even a smaller percentage of cars had R35." And would have the fader and would be a smaller percentage. Where as mine is a R 35 and no rear speakers and fader.

dadeo1852

Reaction score
I have the R35 - 5 speaker option in my car. I'll take a pic later today and post.
Andy

Back