• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

6 pack and idle

RT1

Reaction score
I have a 440 six pack, iron block, aluminum heads and the motor will not idle without having it warm up first so I have to feather the gas until that happens, 5-10 minutes....a real pain none the less. The builder said since it's after market it doesn't have the heat runners for the mechanical choke so there is no choke. Holley said the six pack cannot be changed to electric choke or manual. Recently I took out one turn in the linkage from the rear to middle carb and added one in the front, thus keeping the secondaries partially open to assist in idle, but haven't tried it yet. Some say idle mixture is off. Do all aftermarket motors have this problem, any suggestions?

burntorange70

Reaction score
With out a choke and heat crossover that is just the way it is going to be. You cant get a center carb with an electric choke?

beepahh

Reaction score
have a friend that has this setup and he put in a manual choke cable to raise idle until warmed up....he still is looking for fix.....

moper

Reaction score
How cold are you runnign it at? (outside temps?) until you get to 40° or lower, the engine may run rough but should idle on it's own depending on the package. What is the cylinder pressure readings from it? (Hot, no plugs in it, throttle blocked wide open?)

Back