• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 AAR Bringing it back from the accident.

Coco47

Reaction score
Glad to see you back we are all behind you wishing you the best
Fixing your AAR will be a great journey to you and all of us
Take care

340challconvert

Reaction score
Great news that you made it through and now back in action.
Looking forward to seeing the progress of the excellent work you do! :thumbsup:

Torqueflite

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I guess I have made a little progress lately.

IMG_7573.JPG

Torqueflite

Reaction score
Last edited:

Torqueflite

Reaction score
Needs

Needs color sanded and polished then on to the black. BTW, anyone know how to get mud dauber nests out of an aar hood? And yes I painted it in pieces. I don't like tape lines. lol Ten coats of base. That will make you tired.

REGQ3136.JPG

JDMopar

Reaction score
I was scrolling down, looking at the pics and thought..."I need to ask him if it takes as many coats of FK5 base to cover as Will on Graveyard Carz says it does?" You answered my question without me asking....lol. It looks really great. My 70 Challenger 340 is FK5, so I will be going down the same road in a few years. I am very glad that you feel well enough after the cancer bout to work on it. Saying a prayer that you are clear of it and can continue to move on.

:thumbsup:

Torqueflite

Reaction score
Looking really good👍🏻
Thanks guys. It's a very picky color it does not tolerate changes in temperature or air pressure changes. An AAR is a challenge and it takes a LOT of tape, paper and plastic covering. lol.And, patience. This will be my last hoorah.

Coco47

Reaction score
You are a very talent man I am glad you are the one doing this
very special Mopar ,take care 👍

Torqueflite

Reaction score
You are a very talent man I am glad you are the one doing this
very special Mopar ,take care 👍
Coco, thankyou. I work alone, I use to have a bodyshop/ restoration shop years ago. It's hard to wrestle things by myself. Hard to find people to help, seems they are not interested in this kind of work. Because it takes a lot of patience and perserverence. You don't need a big shop or mega tools, just a willingness to do it. I grew up just building tools I didn't have. When you go above and beyond to do things as good as you can it builds pride in your work. That in turn makes you feel good about yourself. Sorry didn't mean to rant. You can't buy pride.

JDMopar

Reaction score
An experienced painter like you may not need to do a drop coat on last coat of base, but is that a good or bad idea with FK5? I'm just learning to paint, and have done decent so far. I did a drop coat on an Emerald Green S10 bed on my buddies truck and it looked fine, but I like learning from people who have experience.

Torqueflite

Reaction score
An experienced painter like you may not need to do a drop coat on last coat of base, but is that a good or bad idea with FK5? I'm just learning to paint, and have done decent so far. I did a drop coat on an Emerald Green S10 bed on my buddies truck and it looked fine, but I like learning from people who have experience.
JD, I didn't mention a drop coat because I didn't think it mattered in my post but I would if painting it assembled. If you want to try shooting FK5, go get a pint of it and shoot an old hood. It's not very expensive a color. Give it a coat of grey sealer and tape off the hood in half, kinda use it as a let down card. Shoot some taped off strips down the hood. Like 1 coat 2 coats ect. Work your way up to ten coats. That will tell you how translucent this color is. Then clear it and see. It's very enlightening. lol. Do maybe 2 , 10 coat strips. One without a drop coat and see if there is a difference. If you put 10 coats on it, it will in my opinion be covered. But make no mistake, 11 or 12 coats will make it darker. If anyone here has ever shot true candy colors, like the old metalflake brand candy lacquers this color is a lot like shooting those old candy's.

JDMopar

Reaction score
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I have a Dart hood that will be good for that, since it is nice and flat. If I can get it to look good with 10 coats of base, I won't worry about a drop coat. I have several cars that are daily drivers to practice my skills on before I tackle the FK5. That Dart hood test bed will have a lot of paint on it by then! :p That's ok.....I got a DA and always keep a gallon of gray SPI epoxy primer for sealer.

:thumbsup:

Back