• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Grille into 73 Challenger front end - what am I missing

McSpadden

Reaction score
Michael's 1973 Dodge Challenger Resto-Project

DECEMBER 15, 2014 UPDATE: After the many responses of advice in this thread about how I wanted to change the 73 grille of my brother's Challenger to look like a 70... all things considered... the 73 will remain the same... Perhaps as more parts get accumulated over time.. (such as the proper fenders with the buckets already in them.. & the correct bumper brackets...and the 70 Grille I do have gets prettied up... it'll be updated again in a few years). There's always plenty more money to be spent and maybe I'll turn that part into a story thread for another movie. Included in this updated posts are some pictures of the original look and style of Michael's 1973 Dodge Challenger in a movie I made called "Love a la Carte" (kinda like "Fatal Attraction" but with jokes instead of boiling rabbits. Google the name "Love a la Carte" and you'll find it - it's playing for free on Amazon. Be on iTunes in January 2015 or so. These pictures are when I had it in the shop for a new engine.. after I put in a high performance suspension... Anyways... I hope to drive his vehicle back home in February. Stay tuned for updated pics as we go. Thanks for all the input and advice. -Tim McSpadden

ORIGINAL NOVEMBER POST: My older brother Michael, who was a marine, passed on and I am now raising his only child - a '73 Challenger. He always dressed this thing up to try to look like a 70, taking off the rubber bumpers and adding a beat up R/T hood. I disagreed at the time while he was alive but now am trying to make at least the front end look like the 70 he wanted, which always reminded me of my favorite Mopar, the '68 Charger (we also disagreed over the best WW2 airplane - Mustang versus Lightning). I've kept the old 73 Fenders on the Challenger for convenience and price.. knowing from previous posts that somehow there's going to need to be a weld to make the 70 grille stick to the 73 fenders... I guess we'll figure it out, but Do you have any instructions on making that 70 grille attach? Also, it looks like I'm missing a part in this picture that holds the headlamps in.. what am I missing here..? My 73 Grille that was removed is all one piece .. so, I can't remove those headlamp mounts.. Any ideas or advice..?

CHALLENGER lalc2.jpg

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The headlight bucket is part of the 70 steel fender. In 73 it is part of the fiberglass header panel or fascia. You need 70 or 71 fenders or a pair of buckets from 70 or 71 fenders.

McSpadden

Reaction score
Okay - any leads on where to buy these 70 buckets (or tips on the installation customization to the 73) would be appreciated

McSpadden

Reaction score
A search online for the headlight buckets turns up the following places: http://www.beaparts.com/item_detail.aspx?id=584 & here: http://www.herbsparts.com/search.asp & https://www.jimsautoparts.com/body_parts_front.htm -- I can't seem to find it on AMD..?

Another forum a person posted this: "I installed a 70 grille in my 73. I didn't like the bumper guards,spacers, or grille. I drilled out the spot welds from a set of rusted out fenders. They are easy to line up. You need to cut the bottom threads of the hood adjustment bumpers as the threads run into the headlight buckets. It is necessary to weld a tab for the outer headlamp bezel screws. The upper edge of the fender needs to be dimpled for the upper bezel screw. I made a template from a 70 fender. The hood latch will still work but the extension on the lever is buried behind the grille, you can access it though. The 72 rear bumper brackets fit position the bumper correctly. If memory serves me right I just slid my 73 front brackets rearward as they had 2 sets of holes. i didn't change the tail panel as it didn't bother me."

moparleo

Reaction score
He meant AMD would be your best bet for the fenders. Are you still thinking of modifying the old fenders ? There are no instructions to do this modification that I know of. Of course if you ruin the fenders that you try to modify you can always still just buy the 70 fenders.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You can't slide the bumpers back. The brackets are shaped like a Y and don't have room to slide back.

McSpadden

Reaction score
Okay.. so looks like some customization, welds and bumper adjustments to get the front grille I want... I'm fine with everything else that's 73 - just not very fond of that drop-mouth sad face... I think its due to the fact that my first love was the '68 Charger... (More info - this text was from A-bodies only & some works in progress pics):

-Grille assembly
-Front fenders-70 or 71 ('72 up fenders don't have headlight buckets, headlights are in the fiberglass grille header panel, so you need '70 fenders or at least the buckets to weld in)
-grille header/latch panel, hood latch and latch release lever- these are '70 only

And, if you get a '73 or '74
-bumpers without the 5mph bumper guards
-bumper brackets to replace the shock mounts and move the bumpers back into the car

Also interesting: "FIMG_4635.jpgIMG_4637.jpgIMG_4659.jpgIMG_4795.jpgYI, they made more Challengers in 1970 (76, 935) than they did in 72, 73, and 74 COMBINED (62,203!). So, they're easier to find. Yes, really. In fact, in 1970 there were more R/T Challenger's buit (13,796) than ALL of the Challengers built in 1974 (11,354). So yeah, a 1970 Challenger R/T is technically less rare than any plain old '74 Challenger. "

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4795.jpg

Last edited:

McSpadden

Reaction score
UPDATE: Mike from BEA says - he has tried to do what I did but it never works - "you end up chasing your d*ck"--... easiest solution but costs more.. (as many has said here in this thread) is to just buy the AMD fenders... and bumper brackets from a 70-72... rats...

McSpadden

Reaction score
.... HOWEVER... as many have said in this thread... It's easiest just to get the correct fenders for that handsome grille... along with the correct bumper brackets to push the bumper in closer to the car... and just be happy with the 73 grille for now... SO most likely the transformation will go that direction - in time .. .(the brackets at BEA are for a 'Cuda (according to Mike there.. but MAYBE they fit... but he told me has not been successful either in doing what I tried to do until he just got the fenders and quit trying to make it happen...)... well.. thanks to all who chimed in & offered ideas... I'll show you the finished 73 car here in time ..

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I am going to be doing what you are trying to do for a different reason. I bought a practically rust free 72 fender for $40. It has a little surface rust. I am going to use it to replace my rusty 70 fender. I will change it to a 70 just like you are trying to do. I have done it many times. The only way to do it is to have a donor 70 fender. Why am I doing it? It will take me a day. I don't make $500 (reproduction fender cost without shipping) a day, so it is worth my while. If you have to pay a shop to do it, it is close to, or at the price, of a new fender.

McSpadden

Reaction score
Yeah seems those correct 70 fenders seem to be the best way to go (and a 1970 Donor Fender would be great).. and you're right, those reproductions plus shipping ARE a fortune.... I would love to see your end result pictures, too. Well my 73 is getting ready to paint DEEP PURPLE with a black vinyl top... and I'm wondering if by having the hood and fender lip moldings in chrome - and not painted like it is in this picture - https://www.flickr.com/photos/25654810@N04/14148040293 -- will ALMOST give it that 70 grille design. Meaning.. if the grille and headlight brackets are in black (or is it still purple in that previous pic?).. but the headlight rings are chrome and the moldings on the hood and fender are in chrome - will I be close to that handsome 70 design..? Trouble is I can't find any pictures of a 73 with the hood/fender trim in chrome.. they're always painted (and probably for a good reason). The car in the photo is beautiful and its a 73 design - so I'm happy with this too.. just wondering does anyone ever see the front end of a 73 have moldings all in chrome.. or does that compete with the chrome on the grille.. meaning.. too many oval rectangular designs of chrome..? As you can tell, I'm chrome crazy.... Anyone with pictures...?

LOTS OF PICTURE LINKS FOLLOW: Here's a 73 with partial/incomplete look I'm talking about with the hood molding in chrome (not continuing with fenders): http://sportscaradvisors.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/1973-dodge-challenger-440-magnum.jpg -- a 73 with black vinyl top: http://www.classicdreamrides.com/wp-content/gallery/barney/dsc02446.jpg 00 & http://www.classicdreamrides.com/wp-content/gallery/barney/dsc02450.jpg --& http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1...eriod-Photos-1972-Advertisement-1600x1200.jpg --FINALLY = some 70s pictures WITH the chrome all the way around: http://www.meinmaine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/plumcrazydodgechallenger.jpg -- http://images.classiccars.com/classifieds/282304_12605375_1970_Dodge_Challenger+RT.jpg -- http://de.wallpaperpics.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Dodge-Challenger-R-T-19701.jpg & http://www.cars-on-line.com/photo/69400/70dodge69450-3.jpg

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The front end parts are fiberglass on the 73. That is why they are not chrome. I have seen the 71 wide hood and headlight bezel moulding used on the 73 and it does not look bad at all.

Randy Routt

Reaction score
I have a bent fender off my 70 Challenger, that I could remove the bucker on. Pass side only, but in the sake of ideas, the mouth of the 72-74 is a lot like the styling of most of the 2000 mopes only inverted the wrong way or something just aint right. If someone could figure out howto make the grille look a little different to simulate emulate the late model grilles on Chargers, and others, that might shake out alright.
Or Sherman and associates may have some of the 70s.
I have gotten to like the 72-74 tail lights a lot more. A friend is looking for a 71 Body, I said, fat chance, get a 72-74and put a 71 front cap.

moparleo

Reaction score
Do you still have the fiberglass 73 grille ? I f you do and don't intend on using it, there are many members looking for them. The sale could help offset some of the cost of your conversion.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have a 73 Challenger rallye that I bought to use for parts. It's the one in my avatar right now. After researching the car it may be a 1 of 1 color combination. Last Saturday, I was able to purchase the original 340 and original 4 speed from the car. I have decided to restore it instead of using it for parts. It has a 70 front clip with rough front fenders. I need to find a fiberglass front end and will no longer need the 70 front fender buckets that you need for your car. If you are interested in them send a PM to me. If you have the 73 fiberglass front grille for sale, please let me know. Thanks.

Back