• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi-NAG1

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
So, finally I'll start my resto thread here. It's a G code convertible that I bought in 2013. Looked and drove OK when I got it, 340/727 was just gonna do some small fixes over the winter and drive it again next summer. Well, that changed...
Did a renovation of the 340, then sold it. Found a 6.1 Hemi from a 06 Charger with a NAG1. Also decided to fix up the suspension and steering so after a lot of research I decided on Firmfeels stage 3 kit, Wilwood brakes, US Cartool stiffening and Vintage Air. I have all the parts now, car is blasted and in 2K epoxy, waiting for me to weld in the fender braces and the lower radiator support. Also gonna fix some small rust issues and change the trunk floor with extensions. The car is gonna be black with a black cloth top, and black interior.

And in the middle of this I got the brilliant idea to buy another project, a -73 Challenger that needs everything, my friends are questioning my sanity... I don't know what to do with that one yet. I got it blasted and 2K epoxy primed, then stored it away, gotta finish the 70 first.

It will be slow from time to time, my work can take all my time for months, then I can have some time off to work on the car.

Got my first e-body at 19, since then I had 7 of them, 3 convertibles.
I live in Sweden now, I did live in California for 10 years.

/Ken

When I got it:
IMG_1870.jpg

Current state:
IMG_0231.jpg

My son removing the undercoating
IMG_3142.jpg

The new engine
IMG_2841.jpg

340 out:
IMG_2355.jpg

The 73 project:
IMG_0474.jpg

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, it looked good, but when I started taking it apart, I noticed that it was quickly put together for sale, all the fasteners were non stock, mix of metric/inches, drywall screws in the interior, etc. And some ugly ass patches came up when I removed the undercoating. I got a good deal on it though, and the body is gonna be perfect when done.

moparleo

Reaction score
I see that FICA at the SEMA show has released a crate Gen III Hemi with a new stand alone ECU/harness for conversions. Might be good to look into if you haven't got that far yet. Going to be a nice one when you finish.

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
I see that FICA at the SEMA show has released a crate Gen III Hemi with a new stand alone ECU/harness for conversions. Might be good to look into if you haven't got that far yet. Going to be a nice one when you finish.

I got everything I need from Hotwire Auto all ready, but thats great news! If I like the 70 with the 6.1, I might go the Pro Touring route with the -73 also later. My ultimate goal is one with a blower, love blowers. Had a 6-71 on my Convertible in the mid 80's.

IMG_2864.jpg

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to keep using my stock shifter with the NAG1 tranny. The NAG1 requires the electronic shifter that is compatible, but I don't like the look or feel of it, (plastic POS!) so I took it apart and I'm gonna somehow adapt the electronics to my stock shifter. There is an electronics box that has 4 LED optical switches in it, that engages with a plastic cam monted on the shifter axle. Also 2 micro switches for manual shifts. (those are easy). I will either mount the electronic box on the side of the stock shifter (might interfere with the console) or mont it in front of the shifter and make a moving axle that is connected to the rod out of the stock shifter, what ever is easier, and fits the console.
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0960.jpg
IMG_0961.jpg

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Going slow, but I got the bottom part of my engine together.
Milodon pickup and pan, used the old spashguard/gasket, it fits with a few extra holes.

IMG_2063.jpg
IMG_2064.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Started with the inner fender braces. There's a Whole Lotta Grinding Going On here...
Had to add some material also. I'm also painting the area under the pieces I'm welding, gonna do the same inside the big fender brace.
After welding I'm gonna apply Eastwood internal frame coating to cover the welds.

Unfortunately I found some more rust that even the sandblasting did not reveal. Someone had put a big chunk of weld on top of it, when I tried to grind it down to make it look nice I found rust, and I could poke a hole in it. Its in the corner area of the cowl, glad I did that, that will eventaully had rusted through and caused a leak in the inner firewall. So now I gotta fix that before I can continue with the fender braces. Looks lika a tricky part to make a patch for, I also gotta repair the top overlapping part of the upper cowl. Oh well, I'm up for the challenge.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Fixed the rust and got the right side done, now to the left side, same rust hole there...

IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Nice looking metal work!! Do you have any other pics of blower vert? Want to see that 70s 80s custom paint

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Yes, have tons of pictures of that, I had that car for 15 years. A friend of mine painted it that way, cost me 200 bucks in 1980! :) It was not a real R/T, but I added all the options except the instruments.
IMG_0039 (2).jpg

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Sold it in the mid 90's (because I was living in L.A at the time), got this real R/T there, and of course I was an idiot, sold this one for $6000. And bought a 1958 Chevy Impala object (I pleed temporary insanity!).

Hollywood-cars010.jpg

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Fixing small stuff in the engine bay. Ugly repairs from before, small rust spots and welding up holes I don't need.

IMG_0109 (1).jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0155 (1).jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0206 (1).jpg

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm learning as I go. Big job next, change the whole trunk floor and extensions.

Soundcontrol

Reaction score
Trunk floor replacement in progress, fixing some small rust in the wheelhouses, sandblasted and 2k epoxy'd the inside of the framerails, they need a topcoat before I weld it shut also. AMD 2-piece floor fits nice.

IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0316.jpg

Back