• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger RT/SE restoration started

tomps

Reaction score
Changed out the ballast that didn't cure it. So I stepped back and started thinking about things some more. I've been reading up on vapor lock and fuel boiling in the carb (which it is doing). Running an Edelbrock performer that was on the car when I bought (new in '07). I'm going to try a phenolic spacer/gasket to dissipate the heat. I read somewhere that clipping a cloths-pin to the fuel line helps. Anyone heard of that?
Then it hit me....when I tore down the engine I found an old cloths-pin clipped to the fuel ine and thought that was kinda strange?? I'm guessing the problem has been there all along.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Cannot help with the clothspin. I had similar heat soak issue on my 68 Mustang. Not while driving but when shutting down the gas would boil and in no time I would have to tear back into carburetor and clean out the gum. Adding a phenolic spacer is cheap help even if it doesnt correct current issue will help longer term. Todays gas blends sucks for carbed cars.

Mike

moparlee

Reaction score
I doubt that the clothspin was doing anything to dissipate heat. Wood is not a very good conductor of heat. You would need to have metal fins to do any good for heat removal.

tomps

Reaction score
Ultimately I've decided to insulate the fuel line that runs from the mechanical fuel pump to the carb. Also, I ordered a kit (heat shield, insulating gasket) from coolcarbs for the carb/intake where I seem to have the most trouble with the fuel boiling. I really don't want to mount an electric fuel pump which I read somewhere that helps.

I'll post pics once everything comes in and is installed...............

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Just for info.
An electric fuel pump that dead heads to the carb would not help. What does work is when the return to tank line is added. This then recirculates the unused fuel so it doesn't sit and heat soak.

Mike

Back