• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger RT/SE restoration started

moparleo

Reaction score
Good move at this point. Try to be there when they diagnose your problem. Good knowledge for the future. They should be able to narrow down the problem quickly if they are any good.

quapman

Reaction score
I wonder if your timing is off 180 degrees. It's easy to do with the tab in slot type distributor.

tomps

Reaction score
We pulled the #1 spark plug...stuck a straw in there and hand turned the engine over to make sure were TDC. Pulled the cap....rotor was pointing at #1. Triple checked firing order and the plug wires (new wires and plugs).

When the engine was pulled for painting of the car it was basically inspected and not completely dis-mantled. I never removed the distributor except for a brief period when I was painting. Marked it position and it went right back in.

Beyond my means at this point. I'm well beyond my means and just gotta know when to say when. Not happy that I blew both mufflers to pieces but oh well......have to order a couple more.

Thanks for the input folks.

quapman

Reaction score
It could be at TDC, but on the EXHAUST stroke, making it 180 degrees off (1 full crank turn). I know, because I've done it myself. You can remove the valve cover and see which valve is open.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I agree on the 180 degress off. You got spark on the exhaust stroke and ignited the fumes in your exhaust system instead of in the cylinder.

tomps

Reaction score
Ahhh......ok that's makes sense. Ignite.....did I ever holy moly!

Still not sure I wanna tackle this again. I think that's twice now when I've tried to get it running when were on the exhaust stroke?

Adam

Reaction score
Disconnect the coil, remove the #1 plug. Crank the engine over while holding your finger or thumb over the plug hole. When it comes up on compression you will feel the pressure come out of the hole. Look at the balancer, the timing mark should be very close to TDC. Use a socket and breaker bar to turn the engine to about 10 degrees BTC. Pull the dist cap and see where the rotor is pointing. Check the plug wires are correctly routed, big block distributors turn counterclockwise, if I recall correctly.
Now, put the dist cap back on, hook up the coil, and turn the ignition on to the run position but dont crank. Replace the plug & hook up a timing light. Slowly turn the dist until you get a spark signal. The engine should now start. Good luck.

tomps

Reaction score
Do you have stamped steel rockers or adjustable rockers?

Honestly I don't recall...didn't touch during the process.

I am struggling with grasping being on the exhaust side. I never removed the distributor from the engine except for just a moment when cleaning/painting around the block. I was careful to mark the base of the distributor and the block as well as the cap because I wanted it as close to where it was when it was running. If I crank the engine over another full turn...then my rotor theorically should be pointing 180 degrees from where it currently is....correct? If that's the case, I'm no longer on #1 cylinder. I routed the wiring identical as when I removed the plugs.

Yes...it is couterclockwise rotation.

Thanks guys....really appreciate everyone's input....more then you know.

Adam

Reaction score
Actually it dosent matter where the rotor is pointing... as long as it hits the terminal with the #1 plug wire at TDC on the compression stroke. Make sure it is on the compression stroke and wire it from there.

tomps

Reaction score
Well......I feel like an idiot. Oh well....not the first time!

I sent it to the shop that performed the body work. Was too frustrated with it. Turns out 2 plug wires were crossed up. Still don't know how...checked it 3-4 times and had another friend check them. That and apparantely I didn't have the carb mounted down completely. Guess that explains the vacuum issue? Purrs like a kitten now. Expensive lesson but oh well.......stuff happens right.

Now on to the power windows. I got the driver side working up and down as should, the pass. only goes down not up (acting like it's caught on something), the rear quarter sporadically and the other nothing......next :icon_study:
Had the darndest time locating a new 4 way master switvh for the drivers door. Mine was a mess...pins all bent, wires soldered on, corner broken....rough shape. But a nice clean used one........

moparlee

Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out. That's the way it goes sometimes and at least it wasn't something more serious. Like you said, now on to the next thing, there is always something more to work on.

tomps

Reaction score
Finally got it running and driving but still have quite a few kinks to work out of it.......topped off thr tank and got home...had gasoline running out from somewhere on the top of the tank.....possibly a seem?? Of course a few other headaches....mostly electrical issues to straighten out. Never again lol

photo2copy44_zps28d93f68.gif

photo3copy41_zps11ed655e.gif

photo3copy38_zpsb85f8943.gif

photo2copy45_zpsb9d3f878.gif

photo3copy42_zps9d3b06b0.gif

photo2copy42_zps96b30ed8.gif

photo2copy46_zpsda54f2f5.gif

photo1copy43_zps295bbed4.gif

photo1copy46_zps82dc2187.gif

tomps

Reaction score
Bad filler neck grommet? Vent?

Worse....looks like it leaking at the seam. I didn't change the tank nor have it checked......guess that bit me. Also poewer brakes are terrible. Bleed them again got all the air out. Booster has vacuum.....just acts like I'm getting no power to the brakes. Another thing I probably should have changed when I did the disk brake conversion.

IT doesn't end..........

quapman

Reaction score
No, it never ends with these old girls.

Where are you getting vacuum for the booster? Got any pics of your engine bay we can dissect? LOL

tomps

Reaction score
No, it never ends with these old girls.

Where are you getting vacuum for the booster? Got any pics of your engine bay we can dissect? LOL

Sure lol!

Here's a pic. We disconnected the vacuum line running from the booster (runs to back of intake manifold). Seemed like there was plenty of vacuum. Bleed the brakes many times over and there is definitely no air in the system. Brake pedal is really hard with not much travel....no power assist at all. Brakes engage but very lightly. Won't hold the car on an incline. I purchased a front disc brake 4 piston conversion kit designed to work with original power booster. A new master cylinder was included. Car had power drum brakes and worked well last I drove the car a few years ago.....

photo2copy50_zps715c48de.gif

Original booster looks like?

photo3copy46_zps6c35e832.gif

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Did you have plenty of flow at the brakes when you bled them? You may have a plugged or partially plugged brake hose.

tomps

Reaction score
Did you have plenty of flow at the brakes when you bled them? You may have a plugged or partially plugged brake hose.

Good, clean consistent flow to all 4 wheels. At first I wasn't getting any to the rear drums but that was due to me adjusting the proportioning valve more towards the front. After playing around we got good clean flow to all 4 wheels. Pedal still really hard, not much travel, does not stop the car well enough even at idle rolling speed. The front disc conversion kit from SSBC came with master cylinder designed to work with my booster. Not sure if I should be looking at the booster itself at this point?

Back