• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'70 cuda Steering Column connector

ctaarman

Reaction score
Hi folks,

A previous owner MacGyver'd a bunch of functions on my 1970 cuda and I've been taking it back to bone stock. I have rebuilt all the gauges, dash panels, switches, etc. I have two questions:

Question #1

I'm wondering if someone can tell me which functions this three wire connector coming off of the column controls. In the picture it is on the left hand side, resting on the carpet right now. Wire colors are purple-brown-blue. It was disconnected when I got the car. I have been doing a ton of debugging of all the electricals.

The only unterminated 3 connection plug that I have been able to find under the dash to potentially connect it to is the black one with single brown wire on the right side of the picture - but I have my doubts whether its the correct one, as it only has what appears to be one brown wire coming in - which leads me to suspect that it is a 1 x 3 splitting connector similar to some of the other red ones under the dash used for glove compartment light, map light, etc.
Steering column connection.png

I looked in the shop manual circuit diagram for anything that has purple-brown-blue wires together and I just couldn't find it. In the circuit diagram of course the two large connectors for ignition and turn signal switch are there, but I don't see this one.

That's my big question.

Question #2:

There is a panel light at the bottom of the heater control panel located on the bottom left side of dash. The light is a yellow wire. I don't see a connecting wire where it terminates. The yellow wire coming from the light is very short which leads me to suspect the connecting wire should be close by on the left hand side of the dash but I can't find one. The connecting wire has a blade connector - same type as other individual dash lights like cigarette lighter and glove box light. If I can't find a connection I was going to splice into the same wire used for the rallye dash light bar lights. That way it would also be controlled by the dimmer switch. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your expertise. You all have saved me a bunch of times already!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The replacement turn signal switches have a second pigtail to illuminate the side turning lights on some Chryslers , I usually cut off the harness before installing it but it is not used on an E body.
Connecting to the orange wires / dash light circuit makes sense for the heater control lighting

Last edited:

ctaarman

Reaction score
@Chryco Psycho,

Thanks much! Makes sense as when I was rebuiding the steering column, I discovered that the turn signal switch was a replacement. BTW, I had to change the lock, restore the lockout and get the key buzzer working again. Thank goodness for the 4 part rebuild series by CC on YouTube.

One more question if I may: Do you know what that black connector with the brown wire having nothing currently attached is intended for?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Cody did a great job on the column rebuild video , there was supposed to be a lot more like that but Cody has been busy !
The black tri plug with the brown wire is an accessory feed , there are 3 under the dash , 1 is orange to tie in dash lighting , one is red for battery power & the 3rd is accessory , the instrument panel lighting plugs into the orange tri plug above the radio & depending on factory options the other plaus may or may not have anything pugged in but it is very handy for adding other options without cutting into the harness .

Last edited:

ctaarman

Reaction score
I wish the shop manual explained this even half as well as you have! Extremely helpful and makes perfect sense. Thanks again.

Back