• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Challenger wheel/tire help

71Challenger318

Reaction score
I am trying to select a 17in wheel and tire for my Challenger. It has stock suspension at this point. Front has a 73 Dodge Aspen disc brake conversion. I want to run the widest and most deeply dished wheel I can run but I have not been able to find and specs online other then tirerack.com. What have people run as far as offset and backspacing for maximum dish and tire width? Any help would be appreciated.

blackcuda

Banned
Reaction score
dont do it!!!! stick with stock, the look is way better!!!to many guys out there doing the bigger wheel thing, it just dont look right!!!

Challenger340

Reaction score
dont do it!!!! stick with stock, the look is way better!!!to many guys out there doing the bigger wheel thing, it just dont look right!!!

IMO,
The only thing that looks more retarded, than "BIG WHEELS" on an E-Body,
is,
the Guy driving it !

Maybe thats why typically, those Guys are slunkered waaay down in the seat, so all ya can see is the Backwards/sideways HAT sticking up ?

71Challenger318

Reaction score
"Big wheels" is a subjective thing. Some people don't think a wheel is big until we are talking 20's+ There are a lot of Challengers and Cuda's out there with ugly 14 and 15in wheels. "Don't change from stock!" is a better argument then "OMFG DON'T GO BIG!!!" I think Stockton 16in rally wheels are sweet looking myself. Heck, I think the Magnum wheel is one of the ugliest wheels out there, but that is just my opinion.

I ended up with a 17X8in American Racing Torq Thrust M, I will be ordering tires soon. Doing a 255-45-17

DSC04573Large.jpg

DSC04574Large.jpg

DSC04575Large.jpg

DSC04576Large.jpg

DSC04577Large.jpg

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
I am trying to select a 17in wheel and tire for my Challenger. It has stock suspension at this point. Front has a 73 Dodge Aspen disc brake conversion. I want to run the widest and most deeply dished wheel I can run but I have not been able to find and specs online other then tirerack.com. What have people run as far as offset and backspacing for maximum dish and tire width? Any help would be appreciated.

You can't have both. You'll have to narrow your rear end to get a larger dish with the widest rim you can fit. Stock suspension will limit your width in the back. The front is sheetmetal. Especially if you lower the car some.

AFAIK I'm running some of the widest tires front and rear. I have 275/40s on 17x9s.

In the rear my offset is 0 (5" backspace). 5.25" would be better, but I can't really get narrower spacers and be safe. Either way, I have no rubbing.

In the front I have 5 1/16" backspace (I skimmed my 1" spacer to a 15/16") and I only rub when I'm fully locked and I'm articulating a suspension (going into and up my parent's steep driveway from the street).

I'm also running slight negative camber and only expect to improve that eventually with either Moog offset UCA bushings or just finally biting the bullet on some Hotchkis UCAs. Either way, it's TIGHT in front.

17x9f1.jpg

17x9f2.jpg

71Challenger318

Reaction score
I have a set of Saleen replica wheels I was going to use but they are 18X9in and won't clear the front hubs. Big god awful wide things. If I would have still had drums on the front they would have worked I think. I really need to sell the dang things.

DSC04203Large.jpg

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
*drool* those look sooo much nicer than my Konigs... What size tires on those? Look like a pretty short sidewall...

Yeah, my solution for the front was to turn down the leading edge of my rotor to accept a Mustang rim with the spacer. When I go to the Mustang Cobra 13" brake setup, won't need to worry about that anymore.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
I think it is a 275 45 18 Khumo. They might be 40's. I am looking to get like $600 for the set.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
17 & 18 " can look great & definatly help the handling at the same time , there are a lot more tire choices available now in the bigger sizes over the 15" now too

NickD1967

Reaction score
Widest tire that will fit in rear

Hi Everyone! What is the widest BF Goodrich T/A I can put in a stock wheel well (71 Challenger??
Thank you,
Nick

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well personally I would not install a BFG tire on my wheel barrow, I have had far too many problems with BFG
275 is about as wide as is recommended for a 7" wheel , 8" will take a 295 .

Back