• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Barracuda Hood creeps up at the hinge while on the roar

tcsmithh

Reaction score
Happy New Year, i have a 73 Barracuda that went throught a complete restore....when i a rolling around the hood lifts in the back (hinge). any more experienced E Body folks have any ideas why, and how i can stop it?
thanks in advance!
-tom

moparlee

Reaction score
Have someone hold the hood fully open while you loosen the hinge bolts. Have your helper put upward pressure on the front of the hood. You want the hinge to rotate down at the back bolt. Close the hood carefully, you may have to tweak it some more. This will work if your hinges are not completely worn out.

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Does this apply to a 70 Challenger? The rear of my hood is up a little after I close it. I just push down on the rear corners and it falls in place. Are the hinges worn out or just in need of adjustment as described above. Thanks for your help.

cuda joe

Reaction score
try the adjustment first sometimes it works best if you don;t loosen the front hinge bolt just the rear and do the adjustment as above

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Same on Challenger loosen the hinge bolts & over lift the hood & tighten while lifted

ted s

Reaction score
not in my experience it comes back up

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I"m with Ted on this one. My 70 Challenger would always work its way up in the rear. I adjusted it down and fumbled with it a few time before fixing it the right way.
I agree, you can adjust it to the point where you can push it down a quarter inch and it will work its way up to where it looks correct but the problem is, it is clunky because the rivets are worn out. Challenger and Cuda hoods are long and heavy and 50 years is a long time. The best fix is to send them out for rebuild. I used SMS but there are a few others out there doing GM hood hinges that are probably just as good. Spend the $250 and get it done right. You won't regret it.

fasjac

Reaction score
Had the same issue with mine. Adjusted, it was a bit better but, after longer rides, it would creep up. To the point that when I parked the car, it became a habit of pushing the left rear corner down when I got out of the car.
I ended up replacing the hinges. It solved the problem.
Note: I changed the original hood at resto to an AAR fiberglass with the light springs.

tcsmithh

Reaction score
Had the same issue with mine. Adjusted, it was a bit better but, after longer rides, it would creep up. To the point that when I parked the car, it became a habit of pushing the left rear corner down when I got out of the car.
I ended up replacing the hinges. It solved the problem.
Note: I changed the original hood at resto to an AAR fiberglass with the light springs.
did you get the hinges from classic or year 1?
thanks

bc3j

Reaction score
RestoRick rebuilt my hinges. Came back looking like new. Excellent work. I’d recommend you check with him if a rebuild is on your mind.

Back