• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger mods

coyote42

Reaction score
After many years without my (first choice)70 and 73(very first car at 14) Cudas I have finally got my hands on another E body. I just picked up a complete VERY solid 73 Challenger I couldn't pass on for the price (well below current market) and extra new parts. 318 auto ac now had a a big block auto in it and I will put one in again. I am more familiar with Cuda body interchange parts so I have some questions because I want to make it look the way I like not all original. Can I just use 70- 72 Challenger bumper brackets to "suck in" the front and rear bumpers? Will a 70-71 front grill work in a 73 without modification? Never a fan of the 72-74 grill but the car will be all black so it may not be so bad. Is there any difference in the front valance and rear valance w/cut outs from 70-74? My front valance is crushed and they cut round holes in the rear valance to put the exhaust pipes through. Though it may be a cool custom touch if I make it look right. Can a 295/50/15 fit in the rear without modification? My current project is a 67 Cuda so for a while all my research has been devoted to A body stuff. Now I am refreshing myself on E body, been awhile. Thanks!

Not Jonathan

Reaction score
I just recently put 295 50 15s in the rear with 100% stock leaf spring set up and E-body width axle housing. I believe I had 5 inch backspacing if I remember correctly. It does indeed fit! I had to do a very tiny amount of grinding on the inner fender seam on the passenger side, but I think that was due to past sheet metal repair--less than an 1/8 of in inch and only in select spots. It's worth mentioning that I think my springs sit a bit higher than stock. Other than that, no rubbing on a street car, but I think you may run into issues if you intend on cornering super quick, as the clearance to that inner fender seam and the leaf spring is a tad tight. Let me go take some pics for you. I wouldn't be the one to ask on the bumper situation, but the previous owner of my '73 Challenger did an alright job on getting rid of the ugly impact bumpers.

Good luck on your project!

IMG-2335.jpg

IMG-2334.jpg

IMG-2333.jpg

IMG-2332.jpg

IMG-2287.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Neither the '70 or '71 grill will fit in a '72-74' without some major modifications.
The front valances are all the same.
For the rear valance you want one for a '72-'74. The main difference is the bracket for the license plate.

Back