• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'73 Challenger Rallye Restoration

Bill

Reaction score
Local hardware store actually had the old Chrysler pentistar ignition and round trunk keys in stock. They had a lot of dust on them but they were able to make an extra set of keys for me for $5.00. Latest picture of my Challenger. I was at a car show today and there was this shortened and chopped Cuda with an aluminum HEMI. 022.jpg003.jpg
014.jpg

014.jpg

003.jpg

022.jpg

Last edited:

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
I guess I will call it interesting???

Cool find on the keys. Did you throw caution to the wind and just toss them onto the hood by the emblems for the pic?
LOL...

Mike

Bill

Reaction score
332.jpgWas wondering if someone can tell me what I may be missing with this hood release lever. This lever gets mounted to the fiberglass header grille but does nothing as far as unlatching the hood. I'm pretty sure I must be missing something. My mechanic said I need to be able to open the hood with a lever of some sort (along with a few other things) in order to get an inspection sticker put on.
Thanks for your help!

332.jpg

Bill

Reaction score
I need new tires as the current ones are too dry rotted for safety and to get an inspection sticker. Currently I have 215/70 up front and 245/60 in rear. Both 14". I am looking for something that is good for all around driving and looks. I like the raised white letter look. I like the look of the 245/60 on the rear. Would it be okay to have 245/60 in the front so I could rotate the set when needed?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Looks like you have the inside hood release latch. It doesn't connect to the lever. If you have the cable and parts hooked up and working you can do away with the lever.

Bill

Reaction score
Looks like you have the inside hood release latch. It doesn't connect to the lever. If you have the cable and parts hooked up and working you can do away with the lever.
Thanks for the info. It's hard sometime because I am not the one that took the car apart. I do have the cable that goes inside but I will need to purchase a new one as the casing of the cable is broken in two. Was not sure if I could use the outside latch release lever instead.
Thanks again!!!
Tire info anyone????

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You can use the lever if you change the latch. I personally like the inside release. Although without the guard at the latch it is pretty much worthless.

Bill

Reaction score
You can use the lever if you change the latch. I personally like the inside release. Although without the guard at the latch it is pretty much worthless.
Thanks for the info! I found a nice hood release cable assembly today in my barn off of the 74 parts car I purchased. I used the hole in the firewall for my battery cable from the trunk. I will need to drill another hole for the hood release cable and grommet. I just think it is kind of weird that I have two cable assembly's and a manual external lever. Both cars had the inside release?? Both latches are set up for inside release.

moparleo

Reaction score
Tire info? Let me see, oh yeah I did that for 20 years. Very few tires available any more with RWL. 245/60-14 size are as rare as hens teeth. They were popular only on the El Caminos and 1/2 ton Vans way back when they still made them. If you are interested in long tire life, stay with the 215/70-14 all the way around. If you ever go to a larger rim diameter, eg 15" Ralley or Road wheel ( also called "Magnums" but they were really a 15" Mustang wheel) you will have more options in the larger sizes. Most every thing available today are reproductions. Coker makes most of them.

Bill

Reaction score
Tire info? Let me see, oh yeah I did that for 20 years. Very few tires available any more with RWL. 245/60-14 size are as rare as hens teeth. They were popular only on the El Caminos and 1/2 ton Vans way back when they still made them. If you are interested in long tire life, stay with the 215/70-14 all the way around. If you ever go to a larger rim diameter, eg 15" Ralley or Road wheel ( also called "Magnums" but they were really a 15" Mustang wheel) you will have more options in the larger sizes. Most every thing available today are reproductions. Coker makes most of them.
Thanks again Leo!

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
The manual release latch has a piece that extends upwards. This is what the lever pushes against to open. On the cable latch it is omitted and a post is added for the cable eye to loop onto. I currently have the cable on mine that I converted many years ago. But will be converting it back to manual again due to some add-ons getting in the way of cable.

Mike

moparleo

Reaction score
They were also on the 1972. The main reason for having the hood latch operating from inside the car is security. Without the inside latch, any one can open your hood and either steal items like aircleaners and batteries if they have not been moved to the trunk, or damage items like wiring. Not that it is normal where you live. But you never know when in the future you may have the car parked in a parking lot when you are in a mall or restaurant or what ever. Lets face it. Not everyone like Mopars and our cars stick out and get lots of attention wherever we go. They are easy to spot.

Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
The main reason for having the hood latch operating from inside the car is security. Without the inside latch, any one can open your hood and either steal items like aircleaners and batteries if they have not been moved to the trunk, or damage items like wiring. Not that it is normal where you live. But you never know when in the future you may have the car parked in a parking lot when you are in a mall or restaurant or what ever. Lets face it. Not everyone like Mopars and our cars stick out and get lots of attention wherever we go. They are easy to spot.

If someone tried to take something off of my car without my permission that would be something known as "stealing". Stealing is "wrong". We have a way of dealing with such folks up here in Vermont that steal. It usually involves some kind of hunting accident and a backhoe.

Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
Back