• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'73 Challenger Rallye Restoration

Bill

Reaction score
Put on new sneakers today. 225/70/14. Tried my hand at powder coating. Did not come out like I expected but they are powder coated. My mechanic that put the tires on said it was a weird flashback working with 14" wheels again.
023.jpg024.jpg025.jpg026.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

Last edited:

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Nice...
What did you not like about powder coat? Color, finish, etc...

Looks good from pics.

Mike

Bill

Reaction score
Nice...
What did you not like about powder coat? Color, finish, etc...

Looks good from pics.

Mike

First wheel I hung vertical, put powder on it then turned it horizontal to put into the oven. When I did that a lot of the powder fell off. I should of started over at that point but did not. The 2nd wheel I hung horizontally then "gingerly" put it into the oven. I don't think I put enough powder on that wheel. The 3rd wheel I think I put too much powder on it. The 4th wheel I think I may of cooked it too long. Summery, there seems to still be an art to doing this just like there is an art to painting. It is not as easy as it looks on TV or Youtube. You need to do a lot of practice or have someone teach you in order to get it right the first time. I did a couple of small metal parts before I tackled the wheels with success. The wheels were larger and I think pre heating them may of been key????? I also think that although the wheel is centered in the oven from a little stand I made up, I think the burner may be too close to the wheel??? Not sure. Anyway, it works awesome and is easy for small parts. The wheels do look good. The parts of the wheel that you see came out alright.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Been pondering whether or not to try.

So then what you are saying the 5th wheel should be perfect... lol

Mike

Bill

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Been pondering whether or not to try.

So then what you are saying the 5th wheel should be perfect... lol

Mike
I only have about $100 into it with the "Argent" silver powder. You can usually find a free working electric oven somewhere. I will be powder coating all small parts from now on because it is quick, easy, more durable and looks nice.

Bill

Reaction score
Alright, don't laugh at me about this. So Iv'e been driving my Challenger every chance I get before the snow flies. Everyone tells me I smell like exhaust when I am near them after I go for a drive. Guess I don't notice it. Anyway, I own a CO meter so I put it in the car and went for a ride tonight. The reading was fine at idle in my driveway reading maybe 4 or 5 ppm. I took off and after about 3/4 of a mile the PPM in the car went up to almost 200 on the driver seat with the windows up. Yikes!! I don't have a trunk gasket in the car yet. I'm guessing this may be my problem? Any thoughts? "Nighty night" everybody, I'm going to bed now. ZZzzzz....

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Are you awake yet?
I would say yes on gasket.
Do you have back seat and the backing board in. That also works as a buffer helping to reduce fumes.

Which one are we not to laugh at.
Smelling like exhaust or you having a meter to check it with?

Mike

Bill

Reaction score
Are you awake yet?
I would say yes on gasket.
Do you have back seat and the backing board in. That also works as a buffer helping to reduce fumes.

Which one are we not to laugh at.
Smelling like exhaust or you having a meter to check it with?

Mike

Just my stupidity in general. I sell HVAC stuff so I have one as a demo that was given to me.

Bill

Reaction score
Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm in the market for new door gaskets, window felts, hood bumpers and obviously a trunk gasket. Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on where the best brand and place is to purchase?
Thanks for your help!
Bill

Bill

Reaction score
Thanks Leo.
I had the piece of cardboard that goes behind the seat so I installed it along with sealing up behind that with adhesive and some heavy duty plastic. I also put a temporary gasket on the trunk lid then went for a ride. The CO is better but not totally gone while driving. It is worse at lower speeds below 40. I need new door gaskets. I wonder if leaking door gaskets would let exhaust into the car.

Anyone have a good website link, magazine article link or video on tuning up a 4 barrel carburetor.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Bill

Reaction score
Bill,

What carb are you using ? Do the exhaust pipes exit out the rear of the car through the valence panel ?

Quick Fuel Technology Slayer series #SL-600 CFM Vac. Secondary. I'm just trying to educate myself a little on the best way to understand how to get it adjusted properly.

I have not got around to modifying my exhaust tips to fit on my 2-1/2" tail pipe yet. I thought about what you are getting at. It needs to snow so i can stop driving it and get to working on it again (lol).

065.jpg066.jpg067.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

Bill

Reaction score
Welds are a little "bubblegummy" but besides that they came out pretty good.015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

Last edited:
Back