• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8 Track & Wiring

TexasDave

Reaction score
Need some help on wiring my 8 track AM in a 70 Challenger. It is an original 8 track car without the rear speaker. I found an original wiring harness but it does not have the stereo crossover box with it. If I do not have a rear speaker do I still need the crossover box (whatever that is!) to wire everything up? The whole set up is pretty confusing.
Thanks!!

quapman

Reaction score
You will need the crossover for the original harness to work. The AM-8 Track setup automatically came with a 3 speaker dash as well, so hopefully you have that.

You should be able to wire it up without any of that. The 3-wire connector with green, purple and black(?) wires are the speaker outputs. Black is ground (-) and the others are Left & Right.

TexasDave

Reaction score
You will need the crossover for the original harness to work. The AM-8 Track setup automatically came with a 3 speaker dash as well, so hopefully you have that.

You should be able to wire it up without any of that. The 3-wire connector with green, purple and black(?) wires are the speaker outputs. Black is ground (-) and the others are Left & Right.

Thanks for the info, but I have a green and black wire going to each speaker on the harness. The purple wire goes from the 8 track into the harness connection that plugs into the crossover box, so I'm not sure the purple wire is for a speaker .

Slotts

Reaction score
Ahhh, the crossover box... This is a high end piece of equipment that belongs in every audiophile's system! :eek:

Steve is right. You do need that crossover box for only a three speaker front dash audio system.

Seriously, what that box does is creates a powered mono speaker output for the center front dash speaker. Since you can not just connect a hot L and R together to make a mono powered signal, which would blow up the output transistors on the radio amplifier, this box uses two transformers to isolate these two powered signals, then sums the L and R signals together through two resistors tied together.

Jim

Back