• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A833 Reseal Question

70340Cuda

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Cuda that has an A833 in it. The previous owner stated when it was rebuilt, it was converted to an overdrive.

It’s been leaking like crazy recently and I need to get all new seals for it. I haven’t dropped the transmission yet. How do I know what the proper gasket kit is for my transmission?

I’ve found one on summit racing, but a review stated some of the seals didn’t work with their overdrive A833. I also know Brewers has a more extensive lineup of gasket kits.

Also, is there a way to identify the number of splines potentially on the input and output shafts before taking the whole trans out?

The tail housing number appears to be C-99539. The raised boss has PP833 and the numbers 5 21 82 on it. I’ve attached pictures for reference.

04F4C8C7-BC4C-4FA1-AEDF-C5B10B20E668.jpeg

27E57247-80AC-4093-8BBF-A0C5C818871D.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I assume you know it is an OD trans , the shift forks all point up except the forward one on an OD trans.
If it is a factory OD unit they are all 23 spline except brand new Passion ones which use the 18 spline input & a larger retainer seal , the brgs are 308 front & rear , the front brg retainer uses a larger diameter front gasket , virtually all brgs , gaskets & seals remain the same on all 833 trans , the one difference is the dome plug at the front of the counter shaft when using the alum case , the shift lever seals can be replaced on the OD , the earlier ones you had to remove the levers from the side cover & reverse from the case to replace them .
I was able to get complete kits from driveline stores with all brgs gaskets & seals for under $200

70340Cuda

Reaction score
I assume you know it is an OD trans , the shift forks all point up except the forward one on an OD trans.
If it is a factory OD unit they are all 23 spline except brand new Passion ones which use the 18 spline input & a larger retainer seal , the brgs are 308 front & rear , the front brg retainer uses a larger diameter front gasket , virtually all brgs , gaskets & seals remain the same on all 833 trans , the one difference is the dome plug at the front of the counter shaft when using the alum case , the shift lever seals can be replaced on the OD , the earlier ones you had to remove the levers from the side cover & reverse from the case to replace them .
I was able to get complete kits from driveline stores with all brgs gaskets & seals for under $200
Thank you for the info! That was very helpful. I’m unsure whether this unit is factory or a newer Passion one. I’ll be taking a look at it tomorrow and try to get some more understanding of what I have.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Alum case ? front lever pointing down ?
Most were dated using the 10,000 day calendar , if the stamping is the date & it is an 82 it shouldn't be a new Passon one .
Weird that there is no serial # stamped

Back