• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Moroso Oil Pan And Gasket Question

DaveH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ok weird question. As some of you know I’ve been a Chevy guy for 25 years until I purchased my 71 convertible Challenger about 6 years ago. In that time a lot has gone on and I’ve recently gotten back on it. It’s back from paint and looks awesome and now I’m assembling the engine. Last night I went to install the new oil pump, rear mail seal, new pickup, Moroso 7 quart pan with new hardware. It’s a 340 and on the engine stand. The rear main seals have the ears/tabs on it.

I put a little of the Right Stuff under each end of the gaskets and above the gaskets where they meet the timing cover and rear cap. It was a Moroso gasket set as well. The rubber end gaskets went on fine. The long rail gaskets rode up on the bearing cap and the timing cover. They were a tad too long for my taste. I had already laid down the RTV. So in the middle of setting up I took a razor blade and trimmed each end down slightly so it would sit flat on the block. Also the tab/ear on the rear main seal was sitting out under the cap and under the gasket and seemed like that would aid in leaking so I trimmed them off as well. The tabs are still intact under the cap though. I just did what I thought was the right trying to avoid any leaking after the engine is in the car.

Is this a common thing that you guys do or do I need to redo it while the engine is still out?

Chevy blocks are easy you can throw a one piece gasket on there and call it a day.

Any thoughts and recommendations are really appreciated. I just don’t feel like redoing this when it’s back in the car. Thanks
Dave

Cudafor36

Reaction score
A long time ago 12yrs to be exact I had to do the same thing for my stock oil pan on the 340. It never leaked to the day. Not sure if it is common but the replacement gasket set I got then was not perfect.

Back