• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aftermarket Radio Wiring

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm not sure if this goes in electrical or interior, but I figured somebody here can help me.

I've got a 73 challenger. It had a radio at one point, but doesn't have one now. A previous owner has already hacked the opening to fit an aftermarket stereo. I'm looking to wire in an aftermarket CD player.

As far as I can tell, the connector in the picture is the original wiring harness. There are three wires coming from it -- red, yellow and yellow with a stripe. I can make quasi-educated guesses, but can anyone confirm for me what each of the wires represent?

Also, ideally, I'd love to wire this in without hacking off the original connector. Just tap into the wires before the connector?

I know I need speaker wires (that connection looks to have been long ago chopped off), and an antenna connection, I'm not worried about those as much as I am how to actually power the unit.

I've wired stereos into cars before, just want to make sure I'm not looking for any other connections to make.

Thanks!

Bob

20130802_205111.jpg

20130802_205111.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Just run your hot and ground to the fusebox If you are serious about sound, you won't be using any of the original speakers anyway, so just rewire the new speakers that you are going to use

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the factory radio plug should be red for power & orange for the dash lighting the yellow one is probably part of the relay , time delay for the dome light circuit , you will need constant power & switched power there are 2 tri plugs near the right side of the dash that provide both along with switched power at the radio plug

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to take more of a look later this week and hopefully get it wired.

Back