• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Any need for a higher amp alternator?

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
It's looking like I might need to replace the alternator on my '74 Challenger.

Looking on the various websites, they show a 65 amp alternator and also have a 114 amp alternator.

Normally, I would just go with the original, which I would assume is the 65 amp alternator.

However, this car has an MSD Ignition Box and an MSD Blaster 2 ignition coil. Would there be any need for an upgraded alternator? I also plan on installing a very nice stereo system into the car.

I don't know enough about the MSD box and coil to know if it makes a difference, I just know that they're supposed to create a "better, stronger spark", etc.

Just curious, I knew these cars and their parts inside and out back in the early 90's when I owned them and worked on them all the time. Honestly though, it's been over 20 years and I'm catching up on a lot of knowledge. lol

moparleo

Reaction score

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
The electrical systems in the 70's were barely able to work with the low amperage alternators. Unless you upgrade the wiring you are begging for a fire.
Improved Wiring for older Mopars
Vintage Chrysler electrical repairs and updates (part 2)
Catalog

Here are a few articles that apply to all old MOPARS even if you are not trying to upgrade the output. The old cars were marginal back then and truly antiquated now.

Wow, that's interesting Leo. According to the one article a 35 amp alternator was common. I wonder if the one that is on my car now is a 65 or a 35? I just assumed it was a 65 amp.

Is there anyway to know how many amps the alternator is rated at? I was looking at it, to see if it were stamped on the housing somewhere, but didn't see it.

Is there anyway to know really what gauge of wiring is being used? It occured to me that maybe a wiring upgrade was done on the car. I mean by "looking" at it, the wiring looks suspect as far as that goes, but just curious.

Just as a note, you might regret answering my questions. I am one of those individuals who are highly curious about the things I'm interested/passionate about, and therefore will ask a LOT of questions. So my apologies in advance. lol. As a teacher I always tell my students that the intelligent person isn't just the one who knows things, but the one who also knows where to go to find the answers. Given the wealth of knowledge on this board I've seen already, I am very happy I found it.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
My factory amp on my 74 chally was only a 35amp. I upgraded it to a 65amp and then when I scrapped my 91 shadow i kept that alt and slapped it in my Chally. Its a 90amp ND alt. I ran a second wire to the battery as I haven't upgraded any wiring in the engine compartment yet and have read that factory wiring is good to a max of 90 or 100 amps (I forget) (at which point it should be upgraded)

Back