• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best clutch set up for A833

72CudaROG

Reaction score
Hey guys Emmy clutch just went out on my 72 cuda. Had a 10 1/2” Luck set up, car is making around 500hp now and that clutch didn’t last long.

What do you guys recommend, change flywheel to 11” and go to something like this? Or are there even better options.

Still want it streetable

fasjac

Reaction score
I use Centerforce with well over 500hp no issues, very streetable. It’s a BB, 11” set up. Have never used McLeod but, everyone seems to like them that have.

Daves69

Reaction score
.......change flywheel to 11”...............

Are you thinking a 143 tooth flywheel? Do you have the bell or SS to fit? Don't forget the starter would move outward as well. My 143 tooth 11" BB set has been fine but is aged.
When it "expires" or I invoke the GOYA principal on myself, I plan on downsizing to this 10-1/2" BB 3100#. My left leg needs the workout!;)
1628734580324.png

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Here is the scoop , the 143 tooth flywheel & the 130 tooth flywheel both use the same 11" disc , the 130 tooth is called a 10.95" to differentiate , Never waste you time with a 10.5" disc , it works for 318s maybe , , you need 11" [10.95 "], there is no advantage to swapping the belhousing & flywheel to the 143 tooth .
The best clutches I have found are McLeod street twins using dual discs , worst I have found are Centerforce , they will hang on high RPM shifts & I have seen them last less than a weekend !
I prefer 3 finger type , this is what the car was designed to use , McLeod used to make a B&B Long with lighter pedal pressure in a street twin which is what I am running .
I hate diaphragm style they release weird can also hang on high RPM shifts but most companies are using them now , probably cheaper to build .
The shortest lifespan a clutch had in my cars was 75 miles , the power of the engine tore the friction surface right off the disc in only a few launches !

Daves69

Reaction score
The real 11" disc would catch on the 11" scalloped PPs. The reason for the "10.95" disc was to use a larger disc with the normally 10-1/2" 130 tooth flywheel.
FWIW........
1628773310787.png

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If you say so , I order the exact same disc from McLeod for both so they are probably only making 1 disc as the same part # came up for the disc in both applications , it may be 1/8" smaller .

Last edited:

gzig5

Reaction score
@Chryco Psycho

The best clutches I have found are McLeod street twins using dual discs , worst I have found are Centerforce , they will hang on high RPM shifts & I have seen them last less than a weekend !
I prefer 3 finger type , this is what the car was designed to use , McLeod used to make a B&B Long with lighter pedal pressure in a street twin which is what I am running .
Is this the pressure plate you refer too? Its the only Mopar B&B style I can find from Mcleod. Not cheap!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes that is the pressure plate I have most often used in the past .
As I have learned , performance is not cheap , you can buy 5 $200 clutches & keep replacing them or buy 1 good one that will last , a lot less labor buying good parts the first time !
With a well built 500+ CI stroker you can make a lot of torque most single disc 11" clutches will not hold it for long .

Last edited:

Sinitro

Reaction score
Just installed a Ram B&B 2400LB pressure skate and ceramic/organic disk. Very pleased with its lighter pedal pressure and no chatter. Note that I had great followup and support from Ram support. Also be advised any new clutch for any warranty claims requires either a new flywheel or 1 that is resurfaced..

Just my $0.02...

Rons340

Reaction score
Id stick to the 10.5" personally. Also I would call one of the manufacturers or perhaps Brewers as ask them.
Brewers is the best! They specialize in A833 transmissions and offer a full line of clutches and associated parts.

Last edited:

72CudaROG

Reaction score
Here’s what I ordered. Hope it works!! Also I’ve noticed that it’s been hard to shift into second and 4th gear, sometimes doesn’t engage, what is that about?

70chall440

Reaction score
Might be a couple of things;

1. linkage not adjusted correctly
2. sloppy or loose shifter/rods
3. synchro rings worn (or perhaps something else internally)

Back