• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

best fitting sheet metal

plum crazy

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. This is my first post. After selling my 70 r/t 25 yrs ago, I just bought me another one. Back then their were no forums and getting information wasnt too easy. Anyway my question is who makes the best fitting sheet metal, in the past on other cars I have had trouble with poorly fitting fenders etc. I really dont want to go through that again. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Its nice to be part of the Mopar family again.

chasduster

Reaction score
AMD is the only sheet metal to buy period.... Fits as good if not better than OE.

GTXperience

Reaction score
I know this may not be what you are looking for but Ma Mopar made the best fitting sheetmetal. If you can find good original OEM stuff, it's the best route. If you need quite a bit of it, perhaps a parts car might be wise. As mentioned above, if you are limited to aftermarket sheetmetal, AMD is very good.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I know this may not be what you are looking for but Ma Mopar made the best fitting sheetmetal. If you can find good original OEM stuff, it's the best route. If you need quite a bit of it, perhaps a parts car might be wise. As mentioned above, if you are limited to aftermarket sheetmetal, AMD is very good.

I could not agree more with GTXperience, if you can find oem, that is definitely the way to go. AMD is likely the best aftermarket, but nothing fits like oem or nos. I have been restoring a `68 Road runner and have replaced most of what is shown in the picture, including rear frame rails, trunk floor, trunk floor extensions, wheelhouses inner and outer, package tray and the surrounding understructure of the roof, trunk hinge brackets, rear tailpanel crossmember, shockmount crossmember, and the whole cowl section including the firewall, upper and lower cowl and the forward doorjambs, also not pictured is the radiator core support. The only 2 pieces that I replaced with aftermarket parts up to this point are the trunk floor extensions. I will be using oem door shells, fenders and hood, but I did pop for a lot of AMD metal for the backhalf of the exterior sheetmetal and have had it screwed together recently to check fitment and to make sure that all of the structural stuff I have doon was right. I will say the AMD metal fits decent, but not quiye like ma Mopars original stuff. The other thing is that by using oem stuff, and it is out there, I saved thousands of dollars and likely saved a car that may or may not have been worth restoring in a lot of peoples eyes. Oh yah, the interior floorpans will also be AMD.:D:D:D

IMG_3392_1.jpg

IMG_4760_9.jpg

IMG_4861_1.jpg

IMG_3842_2.jpg

plum crazy

Reaction score
thanks everybody for the advice. I agree nothing like Ma Mopar but AMD sounds like it is the next best thing.

ramenth

Reaction score

I agree with this. Good used (OE) is a good option. NOS sometimes can be pricey; more expensive than quality repop. NOS sometimes isn't the best way to go, either. A lot of body parts that were (are) offered to collision shops can be assembly line rejects, meaning that it wasn't stamped quite right, seams aren't right, etc. The factory would simply offer these as collision replacement parts to make them profitable without having to spend the time (money) on the line to make them work.

One of my biggest pet peeves during my career in collision was opening the box for a brand new panel, factory collision part, then having to spend unadjusted (free) time making it fit.

MoparArmyVet

Reaction score
Had very good luck with AMD and no problems at all with Goodmark (Trunk Floor, trunk floor extensions, trunk lid, etc.) It is always frustrating when you spend big bucks and you have to spend several hours getting it just right to fit. The new stuff is far better than what used to be on the market, but as always... most of the time, you get what you pay for.

Back