• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best way to delete ac on a small block???

907mopar

Reaction score
Ok guys,
I’m going to clean up the engine bay on the wife’s 74 barracuda this winter, what is the best way to go about getting rid of the AC? It doesn’t ever work and we never use it up here in Alaska anyway. Do they make an ac bypass pulley to replace the ac compressor?
Or am I gunna have to buy all new pulleys? (Alternator, power steering etc....)
Thanks In advance

907mopar

Reaction score
Ok I thought I had read that you need to change the pulleys. If that’s the case can I just go buy a belt thats for a non ac car?

lemondana

Reaction score
The brackets are all different, needing at least a different crank pulley and belts are all different, the water pump pulley might be different also. Good Luck!

907mopar

Reaction score
Thanks for that info guys. Ya it’s looking like I have to replace basically all of the accessories on the car except the power steering but it’s the original and has a slight leak so I might as well. Also looks like the water pump is different too. At least that’s what I was reading, therefore changing crank pulleys will make the water pump spin faster lead to cavitation. Does that sound right? Where is the best place to order all this stuff? Tried local parts stores and struck out.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Very helpful information!
Dino2 (1).gif

Wanda73

Reaction score
You don't have to change pulleys, it's close, but I'm running AC pulleys on mine without AC. The sweet spot is a 45 inch belt (15450), shorter or longer and it will run into the underside of the water pump.

IMG_20180124_191136.jpg

Back