• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Big hemi starting issue

Hemi Steve

Reaction score
My engine is a 528 hemi cross ram in a 73 Barracuda. The battery is in the trunk. When I want to do a cold start or a hot start for that matter the starter will give me maybe 1/2 a turn and pause for a 1/4 second or so and then it will spin the engine with authority and it will start. I find this very annoying. it sounds like this: ruh pause ruh ruh ruh ruh until the engine fires. My initial timing is 10deg and there is no vacuum advance. The plugs are fresh. Anybody got an idea on why it does this?
Steve

tonysrt

Reaction score
Mini starter or the big original starter? How much compression? I have 472 Hemi with a mini starter with 9-1 compression and starts fine.

70chall440

Reaction score
My first impression would be that the grounds are not super clean or not grounded correctly. That 1/2 turn and pause sounds like its trying to make a connection. Mopars (all cars for that matter) need as many grounds as you can manage especially with a trunk mounted battery. How big is the positive batter cable?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
When I run a battery in the trunk I bring the grond cable up to at least the trans so you have the ground cable on the engine where the highest load is , do you have a good ground cable from the engine to the chassis at least if the battery is grounded to the chassis ?

Hemi Steve

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I have a mini starter and 10:1 compression. The starter has the power to spin the engine after that first pause except when it is hot and heat soaked...another issue. I've insulated the starter and now have the materials to do a thermal wrap of the headers in the vicinity of the starter.

The battery cables are pre-made using #1 gauge copper wire. the ground is on the block. when I get the car on my lift I'll disassemble and clean all of the connections. We'll see if that does anything.
Steve

tonysrt

Reaction score
Another question is this a new motor or rebuild? I did a 440 rebuild and had that trouble till I put a few miles on it. Headers are another problem near starter and that is why I run Stock cast iron manifolds. I'm too old to race so will give up the 20-30 HP gain from headers.

moparleo

Reaction score
A Chryco was saying, you also need to make sure that you also ground the engine and trans to the chassis.
Is this a new engine installation and battery move or are just now starting to have problems ?
What brand/model of Mini-starter are you using ? That can be a problem as well. Not all starters are alike.

Hemi Steve

Reaction score
tonysrt and moparleo
For clarity, I did not build this car so I don't know some of the fine details. I only know what I can see. Anyway, it's a Mopar Performance crate engine but I don't know what the starter brand is. My lambo is on my lift right now doing my annual service so when I get that done I'll put the 'Cuda up and to the insulation and work on the big wires. It has TTI headers. These engines are a really tight fit in a Barracuda which causes the headers to run very close to the starter which in turn leads to the heat soak issue and my insulation project. to further muddy the waters, I wanted to triple check the timing using a non-dial back light this morning. It started perfectly without the annoying hesitation:wtf:. The timing proved to be right on 10* BTDC with the old school light. I'm still going to clean all of the battery connections to make sure everything is ok.
If the added insulation on the headers doesn't help the heat soak issue I'll want to replace the starter to see if that helps. Anybody have a suggestion on a brand of mini starter?? Changing it is going to be a PITA because the header traps the starter. It looks like I'll have to take the exhaust apart on that side:confused:
Steve

RICO

Reaction score
My engine is a 528 hemi cross ram in a 73 Barracuda. The battery is in the trunk. When I want to do a cold start or a hot start for that matter the starter will give me maybe 1/2 a turn and pause for a 1/4 second or so and then it will spin the engine with authority and it will start. I find this very annoying. it sounds like this: ruh pause ruh ruh ruh ruh until the engine fires. My initial timing is 10deg and there is no vacuum advance. The plugs are fresh. Anybody got an idea on why it does this?
Steve
I have 528 hemi also and also had that same problem you are having take it from me it's not your battery .... try to look at your starter i had to get a new one not a mini starter it's call HI TORQUE STARTER #562-665-4559 it's in santa fe springs calif.. all american made starter build in US. this starter has a vent build in so it won't get hot because of the headers ....any questions let me know will try to help...

Hemi Steve

Reaction score
RICO
There's many many hi torque starters out there. Is there a specific web site and part number you can point me to?

Steve

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Has anyone consider a 16 volt battery/system? Most wiring (Especially new painless type wiring) can handle the voltage increase. As can lights. As well as starters. My "Big Stuff" management system says it is good to 18 volts? The reason for consideration is that higher voltage is less dependent on wire distance.

Just thinking outloud.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I have had some problems with my 512 stroker. Nut for the starter wire was missing and wires just moving around. Further inspection the Positive wire comes thru the railing and is got caulking in it to keep it from moving around chaffing. This was the shops idea. Didn't know all this till I got it back. Anyway wire runs directly to the starter from the frame rail. Weill ever time the motor revs it moves the wire so it kept loosening the nut holding the wire on. So I am trying come with a fix for this. Because the No. 1 wire is so thick it doesn't flex. I am going to put a junctiion box I think with a loop in the wire to allow movement, but my headers are shorties and not in the way. Pull the header so you can see what is going on. It might be several things. Try to envision the car going down the road is there room for movement for everything.

RICO

Reaction score
CALL Hi Torque Starter phone #562-665-4559 in Santa Fe Springs calif. I had same problem with my 528 Hemi you can't wrap your starter because it keep all of the heat into your starter your headers are wrap around your starter it's to much heat....at Hi Torque Starter it has a vent build inside to release all heat and it's American made.....any questions let me know

Back