• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

bought some heads for my challenger

moparleo

Reaction score
Another good source would be the local machine shops. Sometimes, some one doesn't pay their bill and you can get a good engine for a little over the cost of machine work. But, there is so much information out there that you can actually get too much info and it gets confusing. The best thing to do is to keep it simple. Don't worry about big cams, ported heads etc... You have to walk before you run. If its available to you, enroll in the local junior college auto shop or R.O.P. program and get some good information under your belt. That way you can make better informed decisions that you can understand before you lay down the bucks. When I was young (long ago!) I enrolled in the local Auto shop night school class. We had state of the art tools and equipment, a knowledgable instructor. My first project was a 392 Hemi into a 55 Ford pick-up. The rest is history.. Get yourself a referance library going. A 3 ring binder. When you fnd information that you can use or is interesting to you, just print it out and file it in your binder. If you are working on a specific model or year of car, get yourself a service manual. Invaluable information. Anyway just a few suggestions to think about. Have fun.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
you could go to a 360 but no 360 had high compression so you are in the same boat unless you rebuild or stroke the 360

74 challenger

Reaction score
you can do a cheap build on a 360 and get close to 400hp. Goggle cheap 360 build and you will see. I went from a 440-6pak to a 318 was told the chally would handle better with a sb then a bb. Im just like you can not afford to dump alot of money in a car. With the bb I would haveto do some suspension upgrades so thats why I bought a 360. Do your research on the 360 block years and what it will take to build it. I bought a 1971-360 has thicker side walls.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
There's a shop near my home called Mike Lough's racing engines, I guess I should go speak to him to see what would be my best way to go. It really doesn't do me much good to google anything because I don't know what I'm reading when I read it.

moper

Reaction score
Honestly, the 360 heads are a little large chamber wise to be "perfect"- but I'd challenge anyone to complain about feeling a performance drop if you bolt them on and run them. You just dropped decent coin on them. It's a mild combination. Stick a mild cam in it (the Summit small cam is a good economical choice), put those heads on it with the MP thin gaskets, and go enjoy the car. Additional upgrades should be an intake and 4bbl, a good ignition, and a set of headers or 340 HP manifolds.

Challenger340

Reaction score
Honestly, the 360 heads are a little large chamber wise to be "perfect"- but I'd challenge anyone to complain about feeling a performance drop if you bolt them on and run them. You just dropped decent coin on them. It's a mild combination. Stick a mild cam in it (the Summit small cam is a good economical choice), put those heads on it with the MP thin gaskets, and go enjoy the car. Additional upgrades should be an intake and 4bbl, a good ignition, and a set of headers or 340 HP manifolds.

IMO,
the above is sound advice that is based upon real experience.
I could not agree more...very well put !

yep, there are better size chambers, yep, there are better heads, and more conduscive Valve sizes for 318's(1.88's)
and you know what else ?
there3 always will be
that said,
my low-pop 318 with 2.02 Valved 360 heads went like a scared rabbit once it got a bit of rpm to it.....Comp 268H or 340 Resto Cam BOTH worked great....and I couldn't kill that wee-18 for trying, and I beat it like a RED HEADED STEPCHILD !

Back