• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

bought some heads for my challenger

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
I just gave $650.00 for these heads, did I do ok price wise?

set of 340-360 heads. These were the 1973 360 open heads and were rebuilt with the stainless steel 2.02 big valves and heavy duty springs. PN 3671587-10,3671587-11 These heads were totally rebuilt and have never been installed.

jbearden

Reaction score
check out howard's cams.i believe they have some of the best cams you can get at the best prices.they sell complete kits as well.to help choose a cam,i'll need to know what you plan on doing with the car,what's in the motor,stall,gears,etc..even better,you can just call comp cams or any of these other companies and give them your specs.they will build you a custom cam based on what you want.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree with both of the above . I have been using Lunatis grinds , they have some awesome Mopar specific cams available . The large chamber heads are tough on a 318 but it is difficult to get a large port small chamber head . I would drop in a stroker crank & take it up to 355 Ci & try to get the compression up to 9.5 or better & use a closed chamber head for quench

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
It seems that I screw up with every step I take trying to get my car ready. I was told that some 360 heads and a cam was the answer to what I was wanting. I'm about to give up, I guess a guy that doesn't have a lot of money just doesn't have much of a chance, I can't afford mistakes like this. Thanks for your help.

moparleo

Reaction score
Believe me, Most of us fall into that financial group. The hot rodder was always the guy with very little money so he had to ask a lot of questions ( Before you buy) do a little trading, hope fully learn from others mistakes and get your hands dirty. Thats what fun is.

ramenth

Reaction score
It seems that I screw up with every step I take trying to get my car ready. I was told that some 360 heads and a cam was the answer to what I was wanting. I'm about to give up, I guess a guy that doesn't have a lot of money just doesn't have much of a chance, I can't afford mistakes like this. Thanks for your help.

Ask questions first, spend money later... lol.

It's not that you were given the wrong advice, you were given the wrong directions. Chrysler built 318's with 360 heads and did it with a purpose. Those were the cop engines generally found in M-body cop cars. There were a lot of reasons for this, but one of the things that's generally forgotten in the search for more ponies was that those heads were stock 360 heads. Stock 1.88" intakes, stock 1.60" exhaust, stock ports. And even then the M-body really didn't set the world on fire in terms of speed. A buck fifteen a buck twenty was generally the fastest they went, and that was with 2.94 gears.

But, you can remedy the situation, inexpensively, and recoup some of your money that you've spent: go to a junkyard thathas late '80's M-bodies (Diplomats, Gran Furies, 5th Aves) and look for those with 318's in 'em. Look for "302" heads. Best non-Magnum heads for the 'teen you can get. Easy fix.

Then sell the heads you've got.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
I did ask questions that's how I ended up with what i have, I guess i just asked the wrong people. Thanks for all of your help.

ramenth

Reaction score
I did ask questions that's how I ended up with what i have, I guess i just asked the wrong people. Thanks for all of your help.

Post all questions here, bud. I'm not gonna claim to know everything, but with guys like Chryco on board and Leo to help out you'll get the answers you need and maybe save you a few bucks in the long road.

Of course, one of the things you can always do, is keep the heads you bought and look for a 360 to bolt 'em to. Really shouldn't be that hard. There's enough 80's 3/4 trucks and vans out there in the scrapyards to keep Honda and Toyota in business with body panels for decades.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Chuck - Yes, I agree with guys above not the most optimum combination, however, I would assume you have the heads shaved a bit, use a thin head gasket, to help on your compression. Are you racing? or is this a cruiser? Call Hughes or Howards, they will help, find some adjustable rockers and you can mitigate and have fun.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Not racing, it's just a driver. I was just wanting to give the motor some punch, and was told to add the 360 heads and a cam to get what i was looking for. I don't know much when it comes to the engines, I'm just a car lover. I will probably just trade or sale the heads, I'm just getting tired of making the wrong move when it comes to my car.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Chuck - hold what you got airborne - Those heads will be great with what you looking for - Thin head gaskets, good cam - your in, good cruiser.

jbearden

Reaction score
one of the best,most reliable motors i ever had was a 318 in my 73 scamp.it has a w2 headed 416 stroker in it now,but the 318 that i had in it was probably more fun because i could drive it any and everywhere without having to worry about anything at all.it had the 360 heads with little to no work,a .484 mopar cam,9.5:1 comp,ld340 intake and a 700 holley.just a fun car with a nice sound and no maintenance.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
I might look for a good 360 to use with the heads, i was just wanting to keep the original block. Having a limit on cash I was trying to use what i had.

74 challenger

Reaction score
Challenger Chuck ,I dont know who you asked but if you look at the threads here you will see I asked about this same thing. I have a 318 and was going to do the same thing. Found out it would lower my compression so I decided to get a used 360 and put it on hold. Im just like you poor man in a very expensive hobby. If you dont get a answer here try googling about it. CHRYCO and MOPARLEO have helped me so much-thank you guys. There are alot of people here that will help you,just ask, no question is stupid here just not asking is stupid. I bought a 4bb intake and figured not a problem but was wrong do to the ports on the intake dont match up on the 318 heads meaning ports are bigger on intake then 318 heads. We all make mistakes. Research and then research it again then ask. Hope you can get your money back out of the heads. Someone will buy them.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
I also replaced my intake and carb over to 4bbl and my car has smoked ever since, not sure why. Every time I really get into it, it cuts out for a second and then takes off, I figured it was the heads and was told to swith to 360 heads and a new cam would solve the problem.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Often the port mismatch will create an intake leak & suck out out of the engine .
I will gladly answer any question when I have time to be here .
The 340 & 318 are very similar , the main differences are compression , 318 was 8:1 340 10;1 , cam , intake carb , dual exhaust with better flowing manifols large port , large valve heads , adress all those issues & a 318 will make a lot of power , I have seen a few dyno tests over 400 gross hp with mild mods to a 318 . 302 castings are the best LA head produced 87-92 , the magnum heads will work also but require a lot more mods & parts to make them work . There was a 318 4 bbl in the mid 80s police cars & a LD4B intake both 4bll but with the smaller 318 ports

Back